by Alice Belle Garrigus


October, 1910, was closing, when one night in the little Chapel at Rumney, God gave His witness that the hour of my depar- ture was at hand. The service had closed and I was sitting along on the edge of the platform when a brother much used in signs, came and stood by me. He then began to hum softly in a sad tone the tune. "Home, sweet Home." Then, striking his hands together three times as though breaking ties, he ran quickly down the aisle and out into the dark. Returning soon, he took his stand in the aisle, feet firmly braced, arm outstretched as though holding a sword, and countenance set as if ready to withstand the foe. This scene has come before me many times, encouraging me to stand with the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, amid opposition.

November, 1910, came and with it the breaking of many tender ties, but God so wonderfully sustained it was done without a tear. Then, the little party of three,şby no means young, as Bro. Fowler was seventy two and I, the youngest, fifty-two, set our faces towards Newfoundland.

Just before leaving, a friend came into my room and said: "O, auntie where are you going?" Like a flash, there came through my lips: "I am going to take a walk with God!" Nearly thirty one years have passed since that day and we are still walking together, "my Lord and I."

Wishing to save as much as possible, that we might have more for the Lord's work, we decided to come second class, though strongly advised not to do so. Here we saw the Good hand of God on us as He caused us to have first class accommodations nearly all the way. Entering a second class car at Port Au Basque, we took our seats, the only occupants. A brakeman came in and seeing us said: "This is no place for you, come with me, "taking us to a first class car. We thought the conductor might have something to say, but he did not. We were, grateful to have springs instead of slats under us on the long journey.

We arrived in St. John's December 1st, in a rain storm; in fact, we were told it had rained for about a month. It looked as though it may have done. Sr. Fowler and I remained in the station, while Bro. Fowler went to look for a boarding house. When he returned, he took us to the Osbourne House opposite the Post Office. Before removing my wraps I dropped on my knees by my bed, thanking God for His care and saying: "Lord, You said "Newfound- land" and here I am." the heavens opened upon me, giving a witness God was well pleased.

Back to Walking in the King's Highway