Please Enter a Search Term

Starting your Career at Memorial

Information from your Head of Department: Your Head of Department is the person who determines teaching assignments for the year. S/he is also the person with whom you should discuss the tenure process, the go-to person on questions of academic misconduct and is your first point of contact for practical guidance through the settling in period.

Academic Regulations: The full guide to regulations is found on the Registrar’s Office website. This A-Z list covers the range from academic dress and academic dishonesty to withdrawal from the university.

Memorial University Grading System: is outlined in this section of the Academic Regulations.

Administrative Matters

  • How are classes scheduled? [ Show answer ]
    Each academic unit prepares schedules of preferred times and room numbers which are submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Through a coordinated effort between the Registrar’s Office and the academic unit a final schedule is developed for each semester. Any questions about scheduling should be referred to the administrative office of your academic unit.
  • How do students register for classes? [ Show answer ]
    Students generally register for classes through the Student Web Self Service registration system. However, instructors are permitted to admit students to the course using the Course Change form available to the student through the Registrar’s Office, subject to restrictions such as classroom capacity and course prerequisites. The Course Change form may also be used to allow students to drop courses.
  • How do I receive class lists for my courses? [ Show answer ]
    The Registrar’s Office will provide class lists for your courses at the beginning and end of the semester. Only those students whose names are on the course list are duly registered. Your academic unit may provide updated lists of students in courses. The most up-to-date and accessible class lists are available through the Student Web System.
  • What should I do if I have to be absent from a class session?[ Show answer ]
    If you must be absent from class, please contact the administrative office of your academic unit to make appropriate arrangements or to notify students of the cancellation. Students can be notified as well through class email lists if time permits.

    If the absence is planned, you must complete an Absence from Campus form, available from the administrative office of your unit.
  • What happens in severe weather conditions? [ Show answer ]
    The closure of Memorial University for severe weather conditions is decided by the President. Generally the decision will be made when a state of emergency is declared in St John’s or if storm conditions are so severe that public transit is not operating. Otherwise all personnel are expected to report for work. In the case of severe weather conditions, announcements are made on the local radio stations and on Memorial’s homepage.
  • What do I do if I suspect academic misconduct? [ Show answer ]
    When a member of the University community (faculty, staff, student) has grounds for belief that an academic offence has been committed there should be an attempt between the parties concerned to resolve allegations of minor offences. If the alleged offence is not deemed to be minor by the accuser, or resolution proves impossible, or one party is dissatisfied with the resolution, the matter shall be reported, without delay, to the head of the appropriate academic or administrative unit. If resolution is achieved and it is agreed that an academic offence has been committed, then the offence, together with the penalty applied, shall be reported to the head of the academic or administrative unit.

    Academic offences include, but are not limited to the following:
    1. Cheating on examinations, theses, assignments, work term reports, projects, internship reports, or any other tests;
    2. Impersonating another student or allowing oneself to be impersonated;
    3. Plagiarism, theft of examination papers or other material;
    4. Use and/or distribution of stolen material;
    5. Submitting false information; and
    6. Submitting work for one course or work term that has been or is being submitted for another course without express permission to do so.
    For more information about how to deal with academic offences at Memorial, refer to the academic misconduct regulations included in the university calendar.
  • What do I do if a student requests a change of grade?[ Show answer ]
    You may be required to process information regarding a change of grade for a student. This will include completing a Change of Grade form. The administrative office of your unit will provide further information on the procedure used in the unit.
  • How do I access Multi-media and Audio-visual Resources and Classroom Support Services [ Show answer ]
    Classroom Support Services is a division of Distance Education and Learning. If you require multi-media and audio-visual resources for your teaching needs, please contact Classroom Support Services in the Education Building (864-7552) or the Science Building (864-8695). You may also visit their website for a full list of services, including information on portable media carts, listing of smart classrooms, other equipment available and instructions on use of equipment. Hours of operation are from 8am to 10pm, Monday to Thursday, 8am to 5pm on Friday. Some faculties and schools have their own audio-visual centres.

    This Classroom Support office services the south side of campus, the Arts, Chemistry, Science, Education and Music Buildings. Faculties and schools on the north side of campus have their own IT and multi-media support centres.

    In Business, contact Dennis Flynn at, 864-2160, and for audio-visual needs contact Brian Tiller at , 864-47 07.

    In Pharmacy contact Bill Hearn at , 777-2214

    In Engineering, contact Engineering Computing Services, 864-8953.
  • Copyright Law [ Show answer ]

    You may need to photocopy print materials for your teaching needs. You may also wish to use computer software, audio-visual materials, music and other sources of information for teaching. To determine the application of copyright law to these and other formats, please review Memorial's copyright office website. If you have questions about the copyrighted materials please contact Nancy Simmons,, 864-2089


Distance Education and Learning Technologies, (DELT) is responsible for the development and delivery of on-line and distance education, as well as the support and enhancement of teaching and learning both on campus and distance. With a team of 90 individuals DELT has expertise in teaching and learning, instructional design, media development, copyright and student services. There are also well-established teams in project management, administration and marketing to support initiatives. Please visit DELT's website to see how they may assist you.

DELT offers teaching seminars through its Instructional Development Office (IDO). The IDO provides guidance and support to both faculty and graduate students in the development of teaching knowledge and skills. Workshops and seminars run throughout the year; the IDO has recently added Faculty Learning Communities to its list of initiatives. Please visit the IDO website for more information.

How to Help Students: Quite often in the course of teaching, we realize that students may have questions or issues that are beyond the area of our expertise. Student Affairs and Services may be of help. This Division provides a full range of services from career advice and experiential learning to counselling, health services, international and aboriginal student services, scholarships and financial aid, off-campus housing and wellness services. For further information visit Student Affairs and Services.

Office of Research: Memorial’s Office of Research is the office responsible for research administration. It acts as a liaison between the faculty and various funding organizations providing pre-award administrative services related to research grant applications and proposals, research contracts and internally funded grants. The Office is the University’s official signing authority for all research grants and contracts. For information on funding opportunities, internal and external grant deadlines, and the various funded research projects at Memorial University, visit their website.

The Office of Faculty Relations is responsible for the negotiation and administration of Collective Agreements for academic employees including faculty members, librarians, and coordinators represented by the Memorial University of Newfoundland Faculty Association (MUNFA); per course instructors represented by the Lecturer’s Union of Memorial University of Newfoundland (LUMEN) ; graduate students represented by the Teaching Assistants Union of Memorial University of Newfoundland (TAUMUN). Staff members of the Office of Faculty Relations provide advice on matters such as recruitment, salary administration, promotion and tenure, sabbatical and administrative leave eligibility and other collective agreement issues, as well as university policy development, implementation and administration.

Policies and Procedures: Information on the full range of non-academic policies and procedures governing Memorial is available at the University Policies website.

Sexual Harassment Office. The Sexual Harassment Office of Memorial University deals with all inquires, concerns and complaints relating to sexual harassment on campus and within the university community. Please visit their website for information on sexual harassment and the University-Wide Procedures for Sexual Harassment Complaints. The Advisor can be contacted at or or by telephone at 864-6178. The office is located in room ER-6039 of the Earth Sciences Building.