REF NO.: 308
|SUBJECT:||Official opening of MemorialUniversity’s advanced Visualization Laboratory to take place on April 27, 2005|
|DATE:||April 25, 2005|
Note to editors:
On Wednesday, April 27, 2005, Memorial University will officially open the new Landmark Graphics Visualization Laboratory, the first of its kind at a university. The $20 million facility is a state-of-the-art immersive, active-stereo simulation environment that will revolutionize research carried out in Newfoundland and Labrador, including how offshore oil and gas reservoirs are studied and understood. The new technology will allow researchers to create and analyze images based on large volumes of numerical data and conduct detailed simulations.
The official opening ceremony will take place at 10:30 a.m.in room EN-2006, located off the main lobby of the S.J. Carew Building(Engineering) on the St. John’s campus. Officials attending this opening ceremony include:
- Dr. Axel Meisen, president of Memorial University
- Brad Bechtold, regional general manager, Halliburton Digital and Consulting Solutions
- Dr. Jim Wright, director, Major Research Partnerships, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Dr. Eliot Phillipson, president and CEO, Canadian Foundation for Innovation
- Dan Fortin, president, IBMCanada
- The Hon. Tom Hedderson, minister of Education, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador
Specialized media tours, complete with a demonstration of the 4D capability, will be available starting at 9:15 a.m., in advance of the news conference. Media representatives should arrive at room ER-4031 of the Earth Sciences building on Memorial’s St. John’s campus (Arctic Avenue).
- 30 -
For more information, please contact Ivan Muzychka, manager, News Service, University Relations, Memorial University of Newfoundland, (709)737-8665, cell (709) 687-9433 or firstname.lastname@example.org.