The Divison of Marketing and Communications provides access to the most up-to-date information released by Memorial University of Newfoundland. Archives of previous news releases are also available.
To access news releases from Grenfell Campus please click here.
SUBJECT: Grenfell: Student Services to offer Student Leadership Program
DATE: Sept. 28
Running from October 2009 to March 2010, the program is developed to provide students with a meaningful learning experience outside the classroom in the areas relating to Student Leadership.
“The program also builds a sense of community, increasing student engagement and serving as a way to recognize the contributions student leaders make to campus and the community,” said Shawna Peddle, Student Services.
The program is comprised of 5 major components:
• A one-day Student Leadership Conference (Oct. 24), held at the Pepsi Centre. This conference promotes student leadership skills and leadership development.
• Experiential Learning Component (October 2009-March 2010). Participants must complete a total of eight hours of experiential learning (volunteering). At least three hours must be on campus, and at least three hours must be off campus.
• Winter Workshop (February 2010) - this one-hour workshop will further develop leadership skills, and review student experiences in the program to date.
• Service Learning Component (March 2010) - A two-hour community service activity that will see the entire group of student participate in a community-orientated service activity.
• Reflective Learning Component (March 2010) - this written and oral component will offer participants a chance to reflect on their learning through the program and discuss their growth as student leaders.
In order to be considered, students must be nominated by faculty, staff or their peers. The nomination package, along with information can be found at http://www.swgc.mun.ca/iss/Pages/studentleadership.aspx. The nomination deadline is 4:30 p.m. on Oct. 9.
- 30 -
Ph: (709) 637-6200 ext. 6525 or Pamela Gill, communications co-ordinator, Sir Wilfred Grenfell College, Corner Brook, Memorial University of Newfoundland, at (709) 637-6200 ext. 6134 or email@example.com.