The Divison of Marketing and Communications provides access to the most up-to-date information released by Memorial University of Newfoundland. Archives of previous news releases are also available.
To access news releases from Grenfell Campus please click here.
REF NO.: 6
SUBJECT: Alumni Tribute Awards 2002: Celebrating excellence
DATE: Sept. 24,2002
In recognition of their momentous local, national or international contributions, five remarkable Newfoundlanders people have been selected by Memorial's alumni association to receive its highest awards. John Kearsey, Memorial's director of Alumni Affairs and Development, today announced the event names of the recipients on behalf of the alumni association and the university.
The five alumni to be honoured at the Nov. 14, 2002, celebration are:
- Eric Jerrett C.M., engineer, architect, land surveyor and outstanding community volunteer, who will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his outstanding professional, community and volunteer achievement;
- Heather (Shapter) Billou, businesswoman and advocate for the removal of economic barriers for women in third world countries, who will be awarded the Alumni Horizon Award in recognition of her accomplishments as an alumni while under the age of 35 years;
- Renowned scholar, teacher and committed volunteer, Dr. Wayne Ludlow who will accept the J. D. Eaton Alumni Award for exceptional volunteer service to Memorial University;
- Dr. R. Bruce Aylward, physician and world health advocate, who will accept the Outstanding Professional Achievement Award in recognition of his dynamic role as a community health leader in the international initiative to eradicate polio from the planet; and
- Sara Sexton who will receive the Outstanding Community Service Award in recognition of her selfless dedication to community volunteerism and advocacy for AIDS victims.
"I would like to thank everyone who stood for nomination and express my gratitude to their nominators. We had 28 exceptional nominees for these five awards and it was not an easy task to choose from among them. On behalf of the association and the university, we feel privileged to honour five impressive recipients," said Mr. Kearsey.
The alumni association developed the new alumni tribute awards were developed by the alumni association to mark two decades of alumni-of-the-year awards, and to expand the association's capacity to recognize the inspiring work of Memorial University alumni. "Throughout the year we hear stories, or experience first hand, the amazing work that our alumni are doing in every sector of the economy, here in the province, across the country and around the world. This program highlights some of these individuals and shares their stories of service, achievement, and humanitarianism," Mr. Kearsey said.
Dr. Linda Inkpen, a current member of the alumni association executive, is tThis is such a worthwhile cause and there are so many he chairperson of the 2002 celebrations. "Dr. Inkpen is the 1988 Alumna of the Year and continues to make significant contributions to the university and to the province," said Mr. Kearsey.
The Alumni Association of Memorial University is committed to help alumni stay connected with each other and with the university. Memorial's alumni are among the province's and the university's best advocates, volunteers and philanthropists and the alumni association provides them with a forum to contribute their time, skills and resources to their university and to their province.
The Office of Alumni Affairs and Development is committed to building lifelong relationships with Memorial's 45,000+ alumni. The office accomplishes this by working closely with the alumni association and with the university to provide meaningful and imaginative ways for alumni to participate in the life and future of Memorial University. In addition, the office fosters a positive relationship with those people whose philanthropy supports scholarship, teaching, research and continued improvements to all the campuses of Memorial University.
- 30 -
|Attachments:||--Biographies of Recipients|
--List of previous recipients of the Lifetime Achievement Award