The Divison of Marketing and Communications provides access to the most up-to-date information released by Memorial University of Newfoundland. Archives of previous news releases are also available.
To access news releases from Grenfell Campus please click here.
REF NO.: 185
SUBJECT: Memorial University files Statement of Defense in the lawsuit launched by Marilyn Harvey against the university
DATE: May 14
- Ms. Harvey was under secondment from the Janeway Hospital to Dr. Chandra to assist him in the capacity of research nurse from October 1987-February 1994. At no time material to this action was Marilyn Harvey either an employee of Memorial University or otherwise under the direct care or control of Memorial University.
- In 1993, the chairman of pediatrics at the Janeway Hospital forwarded to the president of Memorial University a complaint regarding the research practices of Dr. Ranjit Chandra that was based, at least in part, upon information obtained from Ms. Harvey.
- Memorial University proceeded with a full and complete investigation of the complaint in accordance with its obligations and responsibilities.
- The investigation involved a review and consideration of all of the information available to it, which included conflicting evidence supporting both the complaint and Dr. Chandra’s defense of the complaint.
- Based on the information gathered during the course of the investigation, Memorial University properly determined there was insufficient evidence to sustain the complaint against Dr. Chandra.
- At all times during its investigation of the complaint, Memorial University met its obligations to Ms. Harvey and treated her in a fair and appropriate manner.
The university will not be commenting further as the matter is before the courts.
- 30 -