REF NO.: 297
|SUBJECT:||Asphalt kettle catches fire on Memorial’s St. John’s campus|
|DATE:||May 19, 2006|
There were no injuries after an asphalt kettle located adjacent to the north side of the Chemistry-Physics Building on Memorial University’s St. John’s campus caught fire at about 11:30 a.m. on Friday, May 19, 2006.
The St. John’s Regional Fire Department was called and extinguished the fire. Officers with Memorial’s Campus Enforcement and Patrol were also on the scene directing traffic and helping secure the area. The building was evacuated and some classes were cancelled.
The asphalt kettle was being used by an outside contractor for roof repairs to the Chemistry-Physics Building.
There was no damage to the Chemistry-Physics Building as the fire was contained to the asphalt kettle.
- 30 -
For further information, please contact Ivan Muzychka, manager, Communications, Memorial University, 709-737-8665, 709-687-9433 or firstname.lastname@example.org.