Please Enter a Search Term
Facts about German
Did you know?
- German is spoken as a first language by over 100 million people
in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and other countries.
- German is the third most studied foreign language in the world.
Only English and Japanese have more students worldwide.
- German is used increasingly as a second language, especially
since the reunification of East and West Germany, because of its
major significance as a language of business, science, and
- The German heritage permeates Western society, particularly in
the areas of classical music, science, philosophy, and
- Scientists from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland have won 21
Nobel Prizes in Physics, 30 in Chemistry, and 25 in Medicine, while
many other Nobel Prize winners were educated at German
- Students in many fields of learning find a knowledge of German
not only useful but essential.
- Tourism will soon be the largest industry in the world, and
Germans are the most widely travelled tourists.
- German is the most widely spoken foreign language in St.
John's, Newfoundland, with 715 people declaring it as their mother
tounge in the 1996 census.