Canada Research Chair in Natural Resource Sustainability and Community Development
Professor, Department of Geography
Department of Geography
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL
Tel: (709) 864-3157
Fax: (709) 864-3119
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
B.Sc. (1984) Marine Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
M.Sc. (1987) Fisheries Management and Economics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, USA
M.Sc. (1990) Fisheries Biology, University of North Wales, Bangor, UK (First class)
Ph.D. (1998) Resource Management and Environmental Studies, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Current Grants and Funded Research
Too Big to Ignore: Global Partnership for Small-Scale Fisheries Research (funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, March 2012 – February 2018, CAD 2,498,895) (Principal investigator)
Canadian Capture Fisheries Research Network (funded by NSERC, 2011 to 2015, CAD 5 million) (Co-applicant)
Selected Publications (Last Six Years)
- Song, A.M., and Chuenpagdee, R. 2014. Exploring stakeholders' images of coastal fisheries: A case study from South Korea. Ocean & Coastal Management 100:10-19.
- Khan, A. S. and Chuenpagdee, R. 2013. An interactive governance and fish chain approach to fisheries rebuilding: a case study of the Northern Gulf cod in eastern Canada. AMBIO DOI 10.1007/s13280-013-0446-y.
- Islam, M. M. and Chuenpagdee, R. 2013. Negotiating risk and poverty in the Sundarbans mangrove fishing communities of Bangladesh. MAST 12:7.
- Song, A.M., Chuenpagdee, R., and Jentoft, S. 2013.Values, images, and principles: What they represent and how they may improve fisheries governance. Marine Policy 40: 167-175.
- Chuenpagdee, R., Pascual-Fernandez, J.J., Szelianszky, E., Alegret, J.L., Fraga, J. and Jentoft, S. 2013. Marine protected areas: Re-thinking their inception. Marine Policy 39: 234-240.
- Shin, Y.J., Bundy, A., Shannon, L.J., Blanchard, J.L., Chuenpagdee, R., Coll, M., Knight, B., Lynam, C., Piet, G., Richardson, A.J. and the IndiSeas Working Group. 2012. Global in scope and regionally rich: an IndiSeas workshop helps shape the future of marine ecosystem indicators. Review of Fish Biology and Fisheries DOI 10.1007/s11160-012-9252-z
- Chuenpagdee, R. and Song, A.M. 2012. Institutional thinking in fisheries governance: broadening perspectives. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 4: 309-315.
- Thiammueang, D., Chuenpagdee, R and Juntarashote, K. 2012. The “Crab Bank” Project: Lessons from the voluntary fishery conservation initiative in Phetchaburi Province, Thailand. Kasetsart Journal 46(3): 427-439.
- Chan, K.M.A., Guerry, A.D., Balvanera, P., Klain, S., Satterfield, T., Basurto, X., Bostrom, A. Chuenpagdee, R., Gould, R., Halpern, B.S., Hannahs, N., Levine, J., Norton, B., Ruckelshaus, M., Russell, R., Tam, J., and Woodside, U. 2012. Where are cultural and social in ecosystem services? A framework for constructive engagement. BioScience 62(8): 744-756.
- Pita, C., Chuenpagdee, R., and Pierce, G. 2012. Participatory issues in fisheries governance in Europe. Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal 23 (4): 347-361.
- Song, A.M., and Chuenpagdee, R. 2011. Conservation principle: A normative imperative in addressing illegal fishing in Lake Malawi. MAST 10(1): 5-30.
- Chuenpagdee, R. 2011. Interactive governance for marine conservation: an illustration. Bulletin of Marine Science 87(2): 197-211.
- Jentoft, S., Chuenpagdee, R., and Pascual-Fernandez, J. 2011. What are MPAs for: On goal formation and displacement. Ocean & Coastal Management 54: 75-83.
- Song, A.M., and Chuenpagdee, R. 2010. Operationalizing governability: A case study of a Lake Malawi fishery. Fish and Fisheries 11: 235-249.
- Jentoft, S., Chuenpagdee, R., Bundy, A., and Mahon, R. 2010. Pyramids and roses: Alternative images for the governance of fisheries systems. Marine Policy 34: 1315-1321.
- Chuenpagdee, R., and Jentoft, S. 2009. Governability assessment for fisheries and coastal systems: A reality check. Human Ecology 37:109-120.
- Jentoft, S., and Chuenpagdee, R. 2009. Fisheries and coastal governance as a wicked problem. Marine Policy 33: 553-560.
- Bavinck, M., Chuenpagdee, R., Jentoft, S. and Kooiman, J. (editors) 2013. Governability in Fisheries: Theory and Applications. Springer, Dordrecht.
- Chuenpagdee, R. (editor). 2011. Contemporary Visions for World Small-Scale Fisheries. Eburon. Salas, S., Chuenpagdee, R., Charles, A., and Seijo, J.C. (editors.). 2011. Coastal Fisheries of Latin America and the Caribbean. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Technical Paper 544. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
Other Scholarly Activities
- Associated Faculty, Fisheries Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver
- Senior Research Fellow, International Ocean Institute – Canada, Halifax, Canada
- Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Fisheries, Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand
- Integrated Marine Biogeochemistry and Ecosystem Research (IMBER) Scientific Steering Committee
(since January 2012)
- Editorial Board member – Agriculture and Food Security
(since January 2012)
- Editorial Board member – MAST
(since March 2012)