Memorial University of Newfoundland
Corner Brook, NL
Office: FC 2024
Tel: (709) 746-8607
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
HBA, University of Western Ontario, MA, PhD Simon Fraser University.
- Economic geography
- Community, regional and resource development
- Sustainable rural, community and regional development
- Community involvement in resource management
- Local and regional governance
- Community adaptation
- Complex adaptive social-ecological systems
Current Research Projects
- Canadian Regional Development: A Critical Review of Theory, Practice and Potentials
- Using Local Knowledge to Manage Coastal Environments
- Socio-economic Planning Processes: Beyond the Document
- Regionalism as a Means to Positively Impact Economic Growth and Diversification on the Burin Peninsula
- Promoting Sustainable Coastal Management in Pisco, Peru
- Rural-Urban Interaction in Newfoundland and Labrador: Understanding and Managing Functional Regions
- Enhancing the Capacity of Canadian Rural Communities to Adapt to Uncertain Futures
- Community-University Research for Recovery Alliance (CURRA)
- New Spaces, Ancient Places: Collaborative Governance and Sustainable Development in Canada’s Coastal Regions
- Climate Change Risk and Vulnerability Assessment Project
- Network Weaving for Regional Development on the Great Northern Peninsula
Ryan Gibson - Instigating Conditions for Emergent Forms of Rural Regional Governance: Implications for Policy and Community Development Practice
Michelle Porter (co-supervised with M. Blaser) - Rural Resilience and Community Development: Re-Creating Community in Times of Transition
- Jen Daniels (co-supervised with C. Mather): Understanding Connections Between Mi'kmaq Territory, Identity and Place-based Resource Governance in Newfoundland
- Bojan Furst – Perceptions, policy and the future of small island communities: The case of Croatia and Newfoundland and Labrador
- Ekaterina Lysenko - Labour Market Development in Newfoundland and Labrador: Regional Challenges and Active Solutions
- Raiza Mirza - Title to be determined
- Nicole Renaud - Mapping a History of Water Security in the Peruvian Highlands: a case study of Mullak'as-Misminay, Peru
McLeman, R., M. Brklacich, M. Woodrow, K. Vodden, P. Gallaugher and R. Sander-Regier. 2011. Opportunities and barriers for adaptation in Canadian rural and resource-based communities. In J. Ford & L. Berrang-Ford (Eds.), Climate Change Adaptation in Developed Nations: From theory to practice (Chapter 33). New York: Springer.
Lysenko, E. and K. Vodden. 2010. Applicability of the Local Labour Market Development Approach in Newfoundland and Labrador: A Case Study of the Avalon Gateway Region (Economic Zone 18). Report prepared for the Project Steering Committee and Rural Secretariat - Executive Council.
Vodden, K. Heroes, Hope and Resource Development. 2009. In G. Halseth, S. Markey and D. Bruce (Eds.), The Next Rural Economies: Constructing Rural Place in a Global Economy (Chapter 17, pp. 223-238). Oxfordshire, UK: CABI, International.
Vodden, K. 2009. “Experiments in Collaborative Governance on Canada’s Coasts: Challenges and Opportunities in Governance Capacity”. In L. Felt, R. Greenwood and G. Baldacchino. Remote Control: Lessons in Governance from Small Places, Institute of Social and Economic Research.
Vodden, K. and K. Bannister. 2008. “Circularising Knowledge Flows: Institutional Structures, Policies and Practices for Community-University Partnerships”. In J. Lutz and B. Neis (eds), Making and Moving Knowledge: Interdisciplinary and Community-based Research for a World on the Edge, McGill-Queen’s Press, Chapter 14.
Vodden, K., K. Bannister, T. Hollis, B. McLaren, R. Ommer, C. Roach and S. Tomblin. 2007. "New Options for Governance II: The Land and Sea/Land Interface". In Rosemary E. Ommer with the Coasts Under Stress Team, Coasts Under Stress, Restructuring and Social-Ecological Health, McGill-Queens University Press, Chapter 15, 60% (see footnote 1), pp. 405-430.
Vodden, K., R. Ommer and D. Schneider. 2006. “A Comparative analysis of three modes of collaborative learning in fisheries governance: Hierarchy, Networks, and Community”. In T. Gray (ed), Participation in Fisheries Governance, Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer.
Vodden, K. and J. Kennedy. 2006. “From Resignation to Renewal: First Nations Strategies for Resilience”. In Sinclair, P. and R. Ommer (eds.) Power, Agency and Environment: Restructuring Canada’s East and West Coasts, ISER Books.
Vodden, K. 2006. Summary Report: Adapting to Uncertain Futures Workshop. http://www.sfu.ca/coastalstudies/pdf/SummaryReport-ABWorkshop.pdf
Vodden, K. 2006. Adapting to Uncertain Futures: Alert Bay Community Background Report. http://www.sfu.ca/coastalstudies/pdf/AB_Background_Report.pdf
Ng’ang’a, S., M. Hutchison, K. Vodden, J. Pepper, M. Berry, S. Nichols, M. Sutherland, R. White and B. Nkwae. 2005. A Handbook on Issues Surrounding Linking Science and Local Knowledge in Coastal Areas: Canadian Case Studies. Prepared for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
Vodden, K. 2005. Regional Approaches to Governance in Economic Development and Municipal Government. A Dialogue on Social Innovation. Harris Centre Memorial Presents Lecture Series. Oct. 2005, St. John’s, NL: http://www.mun.ca/harriscentre/presents.php
Markey, S., J. Pierce, K. Vodden, and M. Roseland. 2004. Second Growth: Community Economic Development in Rural and Small Town British Columbia. UBC Press. See http://www.ubcpress.ubc.ca/search/title_book.asp?BookID=3655.
Sutherland, M., S. Nichols, S. Ng’ang’a, M. Hutchison, B. Nkwae, K. Vodden, S. Dickie, R. White, M. Berry and J. Pepper. 2004. Traditional Adaptation Strategies to Sea Level Rise: Canadian Case Studies. Prepared for Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
Vodden, K., J. Pierce and D. House. 2004. "Offshore Oil and Gas and the Quest for Sustainable Development: A Rural Development Perspective". In Ramsey, D. and C. Bryant (eds.) The Structure and Dynamics of Rural Territories: Geographical Perspectives. Brandon University. http://www.sfu.ca/coastalstudies/linking/pdf/voddenoandgpaper.pdf
Vodden K. and B. Kuecks. 2003. The Clayoquot Green Economic Opportunities Project: Taking Steps Towards a Conservation Economy. Prepared for Friends of Clayoquot Sound, Ahousaht First Nation and Clayoquot Biosphere Trust. http://www.focs.ca/reports/cgeocontents.html.
Vodden, K. 2002. “Sustainable Community Development in a Coastal Context: The Case of Alert Bay, British Columbia”, Canadian Journal of Aboriginal Economic Development. Vol. 3. No.1.
Vodden, K., A. Miller, and J. McBride. 2001. Assessing the Business Information Needs of Aboriginal Entrepreneurs in British Columbia - Final Report. Prepared for Western Economic Diversification Canada and BC Ministry of Small Business, Tourism and Culture. http://www.sfu.ca/cscd/abbus/abbusrpt.pdf.
Markey, S., J. Pierce and K. Vodden. 2000. “Resources, People and the Environment: A Regional Analysis of the Evolution of Resource Policy in Canada”. Journal of Regional Science. Vol. XXIII: 3. pp. 427-454.