Department of Geography
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL
Office: SN 2013
Tel: (709) 864-8987
Fax: (709) 864-3119
E mail: kstorey[at]mun.ca
I received my BA from the University of Leicester in the United Kingdom (1966), my MA from Simon Fraser (1969) and PhD. From the University of Western Ontario (1977). I taught Geography at Memorial University from 1971 to 2009 and now hold the position of Honorary Research Professor. My main research interests continue to be in the process and practice of social and economic impact assessment, the implications of growth and closure in resource-dependent communities and impact management of large-scale resource projects. In recent years much of my work has been in the oil and gas, mining, hydro and construction sectors in Newfoundland and Labrador, northern and western Canada, Western Australia and the Gulf of Mexico.
- social and economic consequences of resource development
- social and economic impact assessment and management
- regional and community development
Current Research Projects
- Individual, family and community implications of mobile work: The 'Big Commute' - Newfoundland and Labrador workers in Alberta. (see http://www.mun.ca/geog/people/faculty/Fort_Mac19April.pdf)
- Impact benefits planning -- maximizing the economic benefits of large scale resource developments in local communities.
- Markey, S., K. Storey and K. Heisler (2011). “Fly-in/Fly-out Resource Developments: Implications for Community and Regional Development.” In D. Carson, R. Rasmussen, P. Ensign, L. Huskey and A. Taylor (eds.), Demography at the Edge: Remote Human Populations in Developed Nations. Ashgate Publishing: Farnham, England, pp. 213-236.
- Storey, K. (2010). “Fly-in/Fly-out: Implications for Community Sustainability.” Sustainability 2(5):1161-1181. Special Issue: Sustainable Human Populations in Remote Places. http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/2/5/1161
- Storey K. (2009) “The Evolution of Commute Work in Canada and Australia.” In G.A. Dzida, F. Stammler, G. Eilmsteiner-Saxinger, M.A. Pavlova, T.A. Vakhrusheva, Z.E. Borlakova, and M.Kh. Nourieva (eds.) Biography, Shift-labour and Socialisation in a Northern Industrial City – The Far North: Particularities of Labour and Human Socialisation. Proceedings of the International Conference in Novy Urengoy, Russia, 4-6 December 2008, pp. 23-32. http://arcticcentre.ulapland.fi/docs/NURbook_2ed_100421_final.pdf
- Storey, K and B. Noble. 2005. Towards increasing the Utility of Follow-up in Canadian EIA. Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency Research and Development Program Monograph series.
- Noble, B and K. Storey. 2005. Towards increasing the utility of ‘follow-up’ in Canadian EA. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, Vol. 25 (2): 163-180.
- Storey, K. and R. Greenwood. 2004. Newfoundland and Labrador Rural Discussion Document. Report to the Executive Council, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. Harris Centre, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John’s, NL.
- Storey, K. and P. Jones. 2003. Social Impact Management and Follow-up: A case study of the construction of the Hibernia Offshore Platform. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal, 21(2): 99-107.
- Storey, K. and N. Smith. 2002. Plus ça change? Economic Development in Newfoundland and Labrador Since Confederation. In H. O’Neill (ed.), Canada and Development: Some Internal and External Aspects, Dublin: National University of Ireland, Centre for Development Studies, ACSI Occasional Papers Series No.3, pp.1-44.
- Shrimpton, M. and K. Storey. 2001. The Effects of Offshore Employment in the Petroleum Industry: A Cross-National Perspective. OCS Study MMS 2001-041, U.S. Department of the Interior, Minerals Management Service, Environmental Studies Program, Herndon, Virginia, USA.
- Noble, B and K. Storey. 2001. Towards a Structured Approach to Strategic Environmental Assessment. Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management, 3(4): 483-508.
- Storey, K. 2001. Fly-in/Fly-out and Fly-over: Mining and Regional Development In Western Australia. Australian Geographer, 32(2): 133-148.
- Bonnell, S. and K. Storey. 2000. Addressing Cumulative Effects Through Strategic Assessment: A Case Study of Small Hydro Development in Newfoundland, Canada. Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management, 2(4): 477-499.
- Shrimpton, M. and K. Storey. 2000. Managing the Relationship Between the Offshore Oil Industry and Frontier Regions. Proceedings, Society of Petroleum Engineers, International Conference on Health, Safety and the Environment in Oil and Gas Exploration and Production, Stavanger, Norway, 26-28 June 2000.
- Storey, K. and M. Shrimpton. 2000. Coping with Uncertainty and Minimizing Regret: Shifting the Emphasis in Environmental Assessment. Proceedings, Eighteenth Annual Gulf of Mexico Information Transfer Meeting, U.S. Department of the Interior, Minerals Management Service, Gulf of Mexico OCS Region, Kenner, Louisiana, December 8-10, 1998, pp.476-481.