Elizabeth L. Simms
Department of Geography
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL
Office: SN 2021
Tel: (709) 864-2414
Fax: (709) 864-3119
E mail: lambert[at]mun.ca
I am Associate Professor in the Department of Geography at Memorial University. I received my MSc degree from the Université de Sherbrooke and completed my PhD at the Université de Montréal. In 1985 and 1986, I worked for the Application Division of the Canada Centre for Remote Sensing on research projects related to the ocean, coastal environment, agriculture, and natural resource monitoring.
I have been at Memorial University of Newfoundland since 1990. I teach the remote sensing courses Geog 3250, 4250 and 6150, as well as Introduction to Geographic Information Sciences (Geog 2195) and Field Method I (Geog 2226). While the second year courses are requirements, the undergraduate remote sensing courses can be taken as elective for the Minor, Major and Honour programs offered by the Department of Geography. In addition, these courses are required as part of the program of Diploma in Geographic Information Sciences.
The research projects conducted under my supervision include mapping of coastal ice from radar images, satellite image analysis for the characterization boundary environments such as the coastal zone, Arctic tree line and glacier ice margins. I have developed the website-based learning tool R2Read for the interpretation of radar images, which is now being edited as ebook. Other topics of research that I am interested in, include the evaluation of remote sensing classification schemes for the representation of landscape features perceived and described through Aboriginal language.
Remote sensing, methods.
- RADARSAT-2 applications development and teaching,
- Remote sensing applied to Innu geographical concepts (SSHRC-CURA 2004-2009 - MacKenzie)
- Coastal ice characterization from radar images
- Kelp distribution and biomass mapping from satellite and airborne images.
Graduate thesis supervisions
- Ward (Morrison), H., 2012. Characterizing the Tundra-Taiga interface using Radarsat-2 (Mealy Mountains, Labrador), MS
- Warren (McHugh), S., 2009. Satellite Synthetic Aperture Radar in the Prosecution of Illegal Oil Discharges, MA
- Brett, P. 2004. SAR Image Classification of First-Year Ice Types, Bay D'Espoir, Newfoundland and Labrador, MS
- Puestow, T. 1999. Mapping of Salmon Habitat Parameters Using Digital Airborne Imagery, MS
- Short, N. 1999. Mapping the Margin of the Barnes Ice Cap Using SAR Imagery MS
- Simms, É. L. and H. Ward 2013 Multisensor NDVI-Based Monitoring of the Tundra-Taiga Interface (Mealy Mountains, Labrador, Canada). Remote Sensing, 5(3): 1066-1090. DOI: 10.3390/rs5031066.
- McHugh-Warren, S. and Simms, É. 2012 Radar images in the prosecution of illegal oil discharges: opportunities and a case study. The Journal of Ocean Technology: Oil on water, 7(4): 73-86.
- Simms, É. 2010 Representation in remote sensing classifications of Aboriginal landscape descriptions. The Canadian Geographer, 54(4): 492-505.
- Simms, É. and H. Morrison 2009 Teaching RADARSAT across disciplines: R2Read. Paper number 541, 30th Canadian Symposium on Remote Sensing, Lethbridge, June 22-25. Abstract - Presentation
- Simms, A. and É. Simms 2009 Multidate image analysis of the Mealy Mountain (Labrador) tree-line. Canadian Society for Ecology and Evolution, Halifax, May 14-17. Presentation
- Simms, É. 2006 Satellite Salinity in Canadian Waters. IGARSS 2006 Conference, Denver, July 31-Aug. 4. Poster
- Simms, É. 2006 RADARSAT-2 in Teaching - SOAR project 3875. RADARSAT-2 Symposium, St. Hubert, QC, 11-15 Sept.
- Simms, É., B. Topliss, J. Gower, I. Rubinstein, J. Helbig and Y. Lu 2005 Ocean Surface Salinity Validation in Canadian Waters. First Meeting of the SMOS Validation and Retrieval Team, Avila, Spain, 21-24 November.
- Simms É. L. 2003. Submerged kelp biomass assessment using CASI in D. R. Green and S. D. King (eds.) Coastal and Marine Geo-Information Systems, Netherlands: Springer: 501-509. Article
- Simms É. L. 2002. Windmill Bight Golf Course, Historic Resources Overview Assessment. Report prepared for Jacques Whitford Environment, St. John’s: Contract NFS08668, 3 p.
- Simms É. L. 2001. Literature Review on the Effects of Ice on the Retrieval of Sea Surface Salinity from Space. Report prepared for DFO, St. John’s: Contract F6093-001JAH01.
- Simms É. L. and J.-M. M. Dubois 2001. Satellite Remote Sensing of Submerged Kelp Beds on the Atlantic coast of Canada. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 22(11): 2083-2094. DOI: 10.1080/01431160130019013.
- Puestow, T., É. L. Simms, A. Simms and K. Butler 2001. Mapping of Salmon Habitat Parameters Using Airborne Imagery and Digital Ancillary Data. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 67(3): 309-317.
- Short, N. H., É. L. Simms and J. D. Jacobs 2000. RADARSAT SAR applied to Ice Margin Mapping: The Barnes Ice Cap, Nunavut, Canada. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, 26(2): 91-102.
- Simms, É. L. et J.-M. M. Dubois 1999. Télédétection et modélisation des changements dans la répartition des peuplements de macrophytes immergés de la baie des Chaleurs, Québec. Geomatica, 53(2): 157-167.