Supervisory Management Skills Program: Communications and Team Development
Learn how communicating with different personalities, performance coaching and team building techniques will help you lead your team to higher productivity.
As a supervisor you strive to cultivate a work environment that acknowledges the importance of performance coaching, communications and team building. Knowing how to communicate with employees, while respecting the diversity of the individuals in your team, is key to building a successful and effective team. This module will help you to understand your varied roles as leader, team builder and communicator, and equip you with tools and techniques to develop a productive and motivated team.
The Communications and Team Development module is built around five core topic areas of study:
- Working with Different Personalities uses the Myers-Brigg Type Indicator (MBTI) model to teach participants how to define personalities and adapt their supervisory style to match personalities when communicating, solving problems and making decisions.
- Building High-Performing Teams teaches participants how teams are defined and how to tailor their supervisory approach to foster more effective teams. Participants also learn essential behaviors for building cohesive teams and techniques to deal with dysfunctional teams.
- Organizational Communications and Meeting Management focuses on the essentials of verbal and non-verbal communications at all levels in the workplace. Participants will also learn meeting planning and management tools, meeting manners and protocols, and the roles of chairpersons versus participants.
- Performance Coaching guides the participant through a step-by-step approach to employee coaching. Participants will learn the importance of formal versus informal coaching along with the essentials of performance feedback.
- Better Business Writing assesses individual writing style and teaches participants successful writing techniques. Participants will master the principles of good grammar, punctuation, word choice, and message tone.
Communications and Team Development is a module in the Supervisory Management Skills Program. The program includes three, five-days modules.
- Become a more effective supervisor
- Become a more competent and confident decision maker
- Increase potential for career advancement
- Network with supervisors from a variety of organizations and industries
- Build a skilled supervisory management team
- Motivate teams to achieve higher productivity and performance
- Foster trust among stakeholders and improve employee morale
- Reduce staff turnover and absenteeism
- Improve decision making processes
Who Should Attend
New managers and supervisors who want to learn the essential skills of supervision and management
Experienced managers and supervisors who want to hone their skills and develop a deeper understanding of the topic area
High potential professionals who see supervision or management as the next step in their career development
The Supervisory Management Skills Program is designed to strengthen supervisory and management competencies and enhance personal performance, making it relevant for employees of small companies, large corporations, government and not-for-profit organizations. Program participants come from a broad range of industries, backgrounds and education levels. The diversity in the classroom adds significantly to the richness of the learning experience.
Working With Different Personalities
- Use the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to improve workplace relations
- Understand background of psychological typing and MBTI
- Practice validation exercises to determine 'best fit' type
- Understand how personality plays a role in information interpretation, decision-making, team development and effective communication
- Use meetings effectively
Strategies for Building a High-Performing Team
- Diagnose your team's stage of development and learn how to tailor your approach
- Identify the challenges for team development and learn strategies for managing these challenges
- Recognize team member behaviours that impede cohesiveness
- Learn assertive techniques to deal with signs of team dysfunction
- Identify factors you should be focusing on to increase effectiveness
- Understand essential leader behaviours that foster 'hot teams'
Organizational Communications & Effective Meeting Management
- Explore the challenges of different communication mediums
- Identify the elements of organizational communications at all levels
- Refine your direct communication and active listening skills while discovering the power, influence and impact of non-verbal communication
- Learn meeting do's and don'ts and how to plan and prepare meetings - before during and after
- Identify the roles of the chairperson and participants and establish meeting manners and protocol
- Keep your meeting agenda on track: staying on time and focused and ensuring the meeting produces actionable items/li>
- Build relationships by learning to give and receive effective feedback
- Practice a step-by-step approach to employee coaching
- Understand the importance of effective 'formal' and 'informal' coaching
- Discover methods of improving the legal defensibility of performance feedback
- Understand the importance of goal setting and confidence in employee development
- Practice coaching techniques and get feedback from co-participants and the facilitator
Better Business Writing: The Right Approach
- Examine successful writing techniques: letters, memos, email
- Identify writing considerations: audience, purpose, message
- Master the principles of good grammar and punctuation
- Explore word choice and its impact
- Write with a direct and indirect approach in business correspondence
- Receive a pre-assessment of your individual writing style
The program instructors provide an interactive learning experience using group discussion, case studies, self-assessment activities, structured exercises, and skills practice to deliver module content.
After each module in the Supervisory Management Skills Program, participants will receive a certificate of completion. For those individuals who complete all three modules of the program, a Certificate of Achievement in Supervisory Management Skills will be awarded.
Continuing Education Contact Hours: 35