Search resumes for dean of the Faculty of Medicine
The search for a new dean of the Faculty of Medicine that was postponed pending the appointment of a permanent provost and vice-president (academic) has resumed.
The following individuals have agreed to serve as members of the search committee.
Elected clinical members:
- Dr. Anne Drover, associate professor, discipline of pediatrics
- Dr. Michael Jong, professor, discipline of family medicine
- Dr. Marshall Godwin, professor, discipline of family practice; director, Primary Healthcare Research Unit
Elected Memorial University of Newfoundland Faculty Association members:
- Dr. Karen Mearow, professor, Division of Biomedical Sciences
- Dr. Rod Russell, associate professor, Division of Biomedical Sciences
- Dr. Heather Carnahan, dean, School of Human Kinetics and Recreation
- Dr. Rasyidah Halim, professional Association of Interns and Residents
- Dr. Donna Hardy Cox, dean, School of Social Work
- Dr. Oscar Howell, vice-president, Eastern Health
- Dr. Noreen Golfman, provost and vice-president (academic) - chair
Dr. James Rourke will continue in the role of dean of the Faculty of Medicine until June 2016. Dr. Rourke’s extension will provide continuity in decanal leadership during the search.
The committee recently held a consultation session with faculty, staff, residents and students in the Faculty of Medicine to discuss characteristics and leadership skills necessary in the role. The search process will continue through the summer with the next committee meeting scheduled for early July.