Please Enter a Search Term

Campus Dictionary

As a new student to Memorial, you will read and hear many new terms upon registering for classes and during your first few weeks at MUN. To help eliminate some of the confusion, we've compiled a list of campus terms to make the adjustement to University Life easier!


Answers: The referral centre of Student Affairs and Services, this office is your one-stop shop for Campus Cards, lockers, leadership programming and any questions you have about MUN! If they can't tell you the answer, they can direct you to the person who can. If you've got questions, find Answers on the 3rd floor of the UC!

Aquarena: The pool. The big triangular building across from the Field House. Students get special deals on memberships and free access at certain times. The Aquarena is part of the Works.

Arts Atrium: The big glass addition on the arts building. There's a café, a bunch of couches, a lot of plants, and giant whale's tongue sculpture.

Bruno/Inco: The Bruneau Centre used to be called the Inco Innovation Centre. Some people may still call it Inco, and some signs might still say that too. It's the big glass building, either way.

Building Names: There's a few building with official names that are almost never mentioned except on your schedule and other official places. There are what they actually are:

-G.A. Hickman = Education Building

-Henrietta Harvey = Math Building

-S.J. Carew = Engineering Building

-M.O. Morgan = Music Building

-Smallwood Centre = University Centre

CEP: Campus Enforcement and Patrol are the on-campus police. They deal with issues of security and emergency situations, as well as parking.

CHMR: the campus radio station, run by MUNSU. Find it at 93.5 FM!

Clock Tower: Literally the big tower with a clock on it. Located next the University Centre, there's also a mini-museum under the clock tower with some Memorial University history.

Corte Real: The one smaller building with Burton's Pond Apartments. Houses laundry, mail boxes, a computer room and a study room, the campus food bank and International Student Advising. Pronounced "Court Ray Al."

CPC: Computer Purchasing Centre. Good place to get advice on which computer to buy, plus you get student pricing on Macs- aka 10% off!

Food Spots: There are a bunch of places to eat on campus. Here they are:

-Food Court in the UC

-Jumping Bean Café in the Library

-Science Café on the 1st floor of the Science Building

-Engineering Café on the 2nd floor of the Engineering Building (aka Eng Caf)

-Arts Café in the atrium of the Arts Building

-Education Café on the 1st floor of the Education Building

-R. Gushue Hall in Paton College, the main dining hall for residence students, and an awesome buffet option for all students

-Munchouse in Hatcher House, the nighttime food spot for residence students and late studiers

GSU: The Graduate Student Union. Basically the same thing as MUNSU but for grad students, they're located in the Field Hall and run Bitters, the campus pub. Undergraduates welcome!

Labs: a class in a laboratory, usually putting book learning into practice. These are an important part of science and tech courses, though arts students will also see them in language classes.

MUNnels: The wonderfully punny name for MUN's tunnel system. Extremely convenient during snowstorms and other typical Newfoundland weather. These tunnels can take you just about anywhere on campus through their various tunnels and overpasses. Look for the coloured lines on the walls of buildings to direct you!

MUNSU: Memorial University of Newfoundland Student Union. Their dedicated to the improvement of student life, and provide the health and dental plans, CHMR, run the Breezeway and the Attic, and organize our clubs and societies. They are also members of the Canadian Federation of Students, a nationwide organization of university and college students.

QEII: The Queen Elizabeth II Library. This is the main library- the big one with the glass staircases on both sides. The first floor is mostly inaccessible to students, though it does contain some archives. The Commons on the 2nd floor is the hub of activity, with public computers and printing services, while the 3rd floor has the Centre for Newfoundland Studies, other special collections, and some open seating. The 4th and 5th floors contain the stacks and single study rooms. The 2nd through 5th floors are connected by a multi-level, open, totally quiet study hall, plus all the floors have group study rooms that can be booked at the front desk.

SAAS: Student Affairs And Services. The department of the university that provides non-academic services for students. Includes Career Development and Experiential Learning; Counselling Centre; Student Health Services; Housing, Food and Conference Services; Student Success Programs and the University Bookstore.

SVB: Student Volunteer Bureau. Provides opportunities for students to volunteer, as well as the VIP, or Volunteer Incentive Program, in which you can earn Bronze, Silver and Gold levels.

The Breezeway: One of two on-campus bars. It is run by MUNSU, and hosts semester related events, as well as reasonably cheap drinks.

The Commons: The main area on the second floor of the library, with all those curvy tables and computers.

The Fieldhouse: A track, indoor field and gym all under one roof. As a student you pay a "Recreation Fee"- this gives you completely free access to everything in the Fieldhouse!

The Field Hall: The location of most things grad student related. Over in the corner of campus by Coughlan College and Queen College, this place houses the GSU, Bitters, grad student residence and other offices.

The Landing: The big event room in the corner of the 3rd floor of the University Centre. This is student space where students are welcome to hang, eat and study, though conferences and events can book the room for student events as well.

The Loft: Another open student space on the 3rd floor of the University Centre; this is a designated student space, for us to chill and meet up with other people. This is the one surrounded by glass, usually with a bunch of couches inside.

The Muse: The student-run campus newspaper. It contains articles for students about important issues that affect us.

The Works: The title for all of MUN's recreational facilities. It includes the Fieldhouse, the Aquarena, and some of the facilities in the Physical Education Building.

Toonie Lots: There are two of these on campus: under the Earth Sciences Building, and over by the hospital in the multi-level parking area. You pay $2.00 up front, and you can park there for the whole day.

UC: The University Centre. This building houses much of Student Services, a food court, MUNSU, the Breezeway, the Metrobus station, most student societies, and other student life related things.

Student Health Centre: Also known as the Clinic (yes, they are the same thing!) The Student Health Centre serves only students of MUN. It has a full staff of qualified doctors and nurses. They make appointments, and also have walk in clinics Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 1 to 4 pm.

The Attic: originally known as the Attic, then changed to the Copy Centre. Once again called the Attic, this combines the Copy Centre (where you can print fancy things like life size posters and mount things on plaques), the Post Office, and a new convenience store. You can buy movie tickets, lottery tickets, and bus passes here, and even get your keys cut!


Cell Phones in Class: Just don't. Seriously, it's annoying to other students when you're texting, and disrespectful to your teacher. If you have to make a call or text someone, leave the classroom

CEQ: Course Evaluation Questionnaire. You'll fill these out at the end of the semester, giving feedback on your class. Professors get to see these once exams are over so they can improve their teaching skills. The results are also published on Memorial Self Service for students to see.

Credit Hour: The unit of measurement for a course. They reflect the weight of a course towards finishing a degree- meaning they tell you how fulfilling the course is to your program requirements. Most courses you take for a degree are 3 credit hours; some programs have 2 credit hour courses, or even 1 credit hour. Bachelor degrees require 120 credit hours to graduate.

CRN: The Course Registration Number. It's a 6 digit number that identifies your class. Pretty much the only times you'll see this number are when you're registering for the course on MUN Self Service.

D2L: Desire 2 Learn. The short form for the class website, some professors will use this tool more than others. Some will not use it at all. It is the central class resource for distance courses.

Diary vs. Calendar: The Diary is the list of important dates, like when classes start, when the last day is to drop classes, when exams start, etc. You'd think that would be called the calendar. But no- the University Calendar is a huge document containing every single rule and regulation the University has, including program descriptions, appeal processes, and residence regulations. The Diary is a part of the Calendar.

How To Go To The Washroom: Get up and go! This isn't high school, so you don't have to ask your professor to leave the classroom. Very few profs mind if you get up and leave as long as you're quiet about it.

Office Hours: Professors are required to have these. They're a few hours a week when the professor must be in their office ready to respond to their students' questions and concerns about course content and assignments.

Professor Titles: A lot of professors here are Doctors; some aren't. Having a "Doctor" means your professor has earned their Ph. D. The safest title to use is "Professor"- it covers all your bases.

Syllabus/Course Outline: A document your professor is required to give you on the first day of class. It outlines the content of the course, all the work you have to do, and how things are graded. Read it, and keep it! There's nothing worse than discovering that the essay you thought was worth 5% is actually worth 50% on the day its due.

TA: This means "Teaching Assistant." Usually a senior student or grad student, they help professors out with marking, sometimes actually teaching, and general teacher-work. They're a great resource for undergraduate students.


Bannerman Park: A big park in the middle of St. John's. It has a public swimming pool, a baseball diamond, a playground and lots and lots of grass. On sunny days you'll see lots of people walking their dogs here.

Bowring Park: A big park down in the south-west corner of St. John's, by the Waterford hospital. Has a big pond with a whole lot of ducks and a few cranky swans. They also usually have Christmas lights up in December. A great spot to spend the day or go for a walk; also good for feeding ducks!

Downtown: During the day, this refers to Duckworth, Water Street and George Street. At night, it usually means George Street, also known as "dt," where all the nightlife occurs.

Fluvarium: A public centre for environmental education. Best known for its underwater views of the Rennie's River, you can check out the native trout and salmon's habitat and learn a bit about the Newfoundland ecosystem.

Health Sciences Centre: The hospital. Located on the other side of Prince Philip Drive from MUN. Accepts emergencies, but also has long term care, the blood clinic, and the Janeway- the children's hospital. MUN's Faculty of Medicine is also located there.

McEsso: The wonderful nickname for the Esso gas station that also houses a mini McDonalds. It's located just up Elizabeth Avenue, past the Aquarena.

Metrobus: The bus network in St. John's. For a flat rate, you can travel anywhere in St. John's and the surrounding area. One ride is $2.25 in cash, or you can buy 10 ride passes for $20.00. Monthly and semester passes are also available. Buses come at scheduled times, so check out their website for more information. The screens in the UC also give real time updates on the status of buses.

Outer Ring Road: The highway that runs in a circle around St. John's- it's literally an outer ring to the city. Technically, this road is the beginning of the Trans-Canada Highway (or TCH.)

Pippy Park: The huge provincial park just behind MUN. This place has camping, hiking trails, golfing, plus snowshoeing, cross country skiing and sledding in the winter.

Quidi Vidi: Both a neighbourhood and a lake on the very East end of St. John's. The neighbourhood is historical, plus it houses the Quidi Vidi Brewery. Quidi Vidi Lake is the location of the annual St. John's Regatta, which draws up to 50 000 people each year. Usually pronounced "Kiddie Viddie."

Rabbittown: A mainly residential neighbourhood in St. John's. It's near MUN, and is bounded by Empire Avenue, Freshwater Road and Newtown Road. A popular rental area for students because of its proximity to campus.

Stavanger Drive: Pronounced "Stuh-Vang-Ur." A collection of big stores out in the East End. Includes Walmart, Future Shop, Costco... All kinds of fun places.

The Mall: This generally refers to the Avalon Mall, the biggest shopping centre in Newfoundland. Located just minutes from MUN, it also houses Empire Theatres, the biggest movie theatre in St. John's.

The Parkway: The 4 lane, main road that runs through St. John's and our campus. It also has the most problems at rush hour. It's one road with three sections: Columbus Drive, Prince Philip Drive and Macdonald Drive (though essentially all the same road.)

The Rooms: the provincial museum, art gallery and archives. It looks like an oversized house from the outside. Located downtown, it is a super cool building with an awesome café, it also has free admission Wednesday nights after 6!

The Square: A nickname for Churchill Square, the mini shopping-centre/plaza located just down the street on Elizabeth Avenue. The square has an A&W, a Tim Hortons, a hairdresser, a Shoppers Drug Mart, a Pizza Hut, a dry cleaner and a whole lot more. A bunch of useful stores, especially for students living on-campus. It also has a Scotiabank.

The Village: The Village Mall, St. John's' second largest shopping centre, located in the West End.

Tims: Tim Hortons! This coffee-and-donut shop is a Canadian icon, and now serves a variety of hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, soups and so on. Also the location of the famous "Roll Up the Rim to Win" contest, which happens annually. We have a Tim Hortons on campus in the Aquarena.


Academic Prejudice: You'll usually come across this when you want to drop a course. Up to a certain point in the semester, you can drop a course without academic prejudice, meaning there will be nothing on your record about the course. After that deadline, if you drop the course, you'll have a letter grade of DRF (drop fail) and a 0% on your record.

Campus Card: Your student ID. You need this to write your exams, borrow books from the library, and access the Works. You can also put money on it to print in the library and buy food at Treats in the UC!

Changing Your MUN License Plate: This is a handy trick that few people know about. You can change your email address to something closer to your name, instead of a bunch of letters and numbers (which is called your license plate). Go to > Home > My Profile > Manage My E-mail Addresses > Click on the little plus sign in the top right hand corner. A drop down menu should appear and give you a list of options!

Note, your original email still exists, and that string of letters and numbers is still your license plate, or ID. This is just a simpler email address that will send your emails to the same place.

Clubs/Societies: Pretty much the same thing as in high school. These are groups organized by students for students, focusing on specific interests (like chess or French) or as a part of a larger organization (like Oxfam or MUN NDP.)

Elevator Use: a lot of elevators on campus are not available to just anyone- you have to have special access to use them. For the ones that are public (like the UC and the Arts building,) try not to use them unnecessarily. The people that need to use the elevators want to be able to!

Free Agenda: MUNSU provides free planners to all students at the beginning of the Fall semester. They usually hand them out in the Loft on Day 2 of Orientation- they're great for keeping your homework organized, plus they contain a Student Saver card, which gives you discounts all over Canada!

Gym Machines: Clean them after you use them! There are spray bottles of cleaner and rags all over the place, just grab some and wipe down the machine once you're done using it. No one likes to wallow in someone else's sweat.

Hallway and stair walking etiquette: Walk on the right- it's just like driving. Also, if you're texting or for some reason walking really slowly, move to the side so you don't block the flow of traffic.

Holding the door for people: Always nice! Some of the doors around campus are heavy too, so try not to let them slam in peoples' faces.

I <3 MUNdays: A weeklong celebration with a variety of events designed to get students involved and celebrate the Memorial University community. Generally the last week of October.

How To Print In The Library:

1) Put money on your student ID using one of the black boxes on the wall near the photocopiers.

2) Transfer money to your print account using one of the two designated computers in the Commons.

3) Print from any of the computers in the library. Be sure to print to the right printer- they have big numbers on them, so you can choose which one is nearest to you.

*If you don't have enough money on your print account, nothing will print! If you need help, ask one of the nice people at the Commons Service Desk to help you out.

Insurance: As an undergraduate student, your fees include paying into a Health and Dental Plan provided by MUNSU. This is a great option if you have no health insurance, or you want to supplement what you already have. If you don't want the coverage, though, because you already have some, you can opt out of the plans by going to You will receive a refund through your original method of payment. However, there is a deadline for opting out- the same day as the last day to drop a class and receive 100% refund, generally 2 weeks after the first day of classes.

Library Etiquette: You'd think this was obvious, but please be quiet in the library. Use sound proof headphones, whisper if you have to talk, and only use your phones in the designated cell-phone areas. If you're texting while you're studying, turn your beeping-alert-thing on silent too.

Lockers: They exist! Located in the main tunnel, the Arts-Science Skywalk, the Engineering building and the Business Building, you can rent lockers for up to three semesters. Very useful in winter when you don't want to wear big boots all day. Also good for lab coats, jackets and goggles.

MUN Mail: Your MUN email provided by the lovely Google. Its better organized, has more storage, and better spam filters than the old Webmail. Make the switch to MUN mail at

MUNSU Resource Centres: MUNSU runs 7 centres with support and resources for a variety of groups. These are all located in the UC, with the Women's Resource Centre on the 1st floor and the rest on the 6th floor.

-Aboriginal Student Resource Centre

-Disability Information Support Centre (DISC)

-International Students' Centre (ISC)

-Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, And Transgendered Persons At MUN (LBGT)

-Students Older Than Average (SOTA)

-Student Parents At MUN (SPAM)

-Women's Resource Centre

Parking Policy: To get a parking permit, you have to enter the Student Parking Lottery at the beginning of the semester through CEP then draws names at random. If you don't get a permit, you can park at any of the metered parking spots (check campus map) or at the toonie lots under the Earth Sciences building and beside the hospital. For more info, check out the parking page at

Science Building Block Off: A very annoying fact, the second floor of the science building isn't a loop like the other 3 floors. There is no hallway connecting the stairway closest to Paton College with the stairway closest to the Chemistry Building!

Self Service: This is the web portal used for all your official MUN stuff. You can change your personal info here, register and drop courses, pay your tuition, view a record of your grades... All that fun stuff. Find the link at the top right hand corner of the page at

Single Study Rooms: Yes, you DO have to book these. Book them at the Circulation Desk in the Commons.

Skywalks: Another word for the pedestrian overpasses connecting various buildings on campus. Some examples are the Chemistry-Science skywalk, the Arts-Science skywalk, and the big skywalk connecting the UC, the Earth Sciences building and the Chemistry building.

Smoking Policy: The University is working on implementing a complete smoking ban on campus. The complete ban, which prohibits smoking anywhere on university property, goes into effect August 31st, 2013; until then, you're allowed to smoke in designated outdoor smoking areas. You can tell where these are by the bright blue picnic tables.

Water Bottle Policy/Water Stations: In 2009, the University signed a pledge saying they would reduce the use of bottled water as much as possible at university events. They also agreed to increase access to public drinking fountains/water bottle filling stations. As a result, the university does not serve bottled water, and there are fill stations in most buildings. For a complete list, check out your free water bottle from Orientation!