1. What are the deadlines for the national awards (SSHRC, NSERC & CIHR)?

If you are applying direclty to one of the national granting agencies for their awards, please check their Web site for deadline dates.

If you are applying through the University, please check with your academic unit for their deadline date. This information should be available by the end of September each year.

2. What are the different kinds of funding available for graduate students?

The different kinds of funding are all listed on the home page of the SGS Scholarship Web Site. There is internal funding available through either student application or departmental nomination. SGS also administers a few external awards- the School is responsible for processing the application but the awarding of the scholarship itself originates from an external agency. There are also general travel grants available to all graduate students, one grant per degree.

3. Who can apply for an internal award/scholarship?

Check the specific award for information on academic unit, residency, student status and other criteria.

4. Can part-time students apply for scholarships and awards?

For the majority of the scholarships and awards students are required to be full-time graduate students when they apply and hold the award. However, there are some awards available whereby a graduate student can be part-time. You should confirm your eligibility by checking the award description or with SGS before submitting an application.

5. Is there a maximum number of hours that I can work as a graduate student and still maintain my fellowship?

To maintain your full-time status as a graduate student at Memorial and maintain your fellowship, you can not be employed for more than 24 hours of work per week from all employment sources.

6. Who should I contact for more information on graduate scholarships/fellowships?

All inquiries should be directed towards the School of Graduate Studies. Click here to go to the contact page on this site.

7. How do I get copies of my transcript for awards applications?

You can request a MUN transcript free of charge through the web or through the registrar's office. Information regarding transcripts can be found on-line on the Registrar's Office Web site.

8. I am a first year graduate student. Can I use the reference letters which I submitted as part of my admissions application for my scholarship application?

No, you must submit original reference letters on letter head for each internal and external scholarship you apply for.

9. Can I request a reference from a person with whom I've published an article?

It is always good to get references from people who know your work and/or your potential for research. If these are people you have worked or published with, there should be no problem in having these people write the references for as long as it is made clear that there is a prior relationship between you and your referee.

10. What happens to my funding if I take a leave of absence?

If you take a leave of absence, your funding stops effective the date your leave was granted. If you receive a retroactive leave of absence and received funding for the same time period, you may be required to repay this money. If you are receiving University support, you may be able to have your funding stopped early at the end of your award.

11. Can I have my tuition deducted from my fellowship payroll cheque?

Tuition fees can be deducted by completing the Payroll Deductions Form (Graduate Student Deduction Authorization Form). This form can be obtained on-line, from the Cashier's Office (A1023)or from the School of Graduate Studies (ER-6031). Remember to fill out a new form each academic year to ensure that the tuition fees are deducted. Please check the registration booklet for the deadline date in paying fees to avoid paying a $30 penalty. The registration booklet is available on-line on the Registrar's Office Web site.