Long term power availability in harsh seafloor conditions was a major challenge for this project. Our patent pending system utilizes ocean currents for energy generation using a custom designed horizontal axis turbine. The 3-phase AC generator is linked to an energy management and storage system to provide continuous DC power to instrumentation during low current periods. The system highlights include:
- Presently optimized for flow rates from 0.1 to 1.0 m/s.
- Scalable based on power requirements and current flow in the deployment area.
- Will produce 100watts peak power output at 1m/s.
- Energy storage system capacity can be tailored to deployment area and flow regime.
- Power management system monitors remaining capacity, power generation history and power utilization over time.
Below is a link to a video of a recent test of the generation system in the Marine Institute flume tank.