Getting Started

A. Personal Identification Number (PIN)
You have been assigned a special personal identification number. This number is used along with an individual's student number as a security device to ensure confidentiality and to prevent unauthorized registration activity; it also allows access to personal academic and financial records via Memorial Self-Service.

If you have registered in any of the last two semesters, your PIN will remain as you have created it. However, students who have not previously registered using the Web or telephone system, or who were required to complete an Application for Readmission to the Winter Semester, will have an initial PIN determined by their birth year and day. For example, a student born on the 16th day of any month in 1992 will have an initial PIN of 199216. Upon accessing the system and entering this initial PIN, a new PIN must be chosen. This new PIN will replace your original birth year and birth day PIN and therefore cannot be the same number. Every time you access the registration system from then on (until you are required to complete an application for readmission) the new PIN must be used. You will be the only one who knows your PIN; therefore, do not forget the number you create.

Your PIN protects you from unauthorized access to your academic record. Therefore, you are strongly advised not to divulge your student number and PIN. If you give any person your PIN, you are taking responsibility for any changes made. If you have reason to believe that an unauthorized person has your PIN, or if you have forgotten your number, contact the Office of the Registrar at or by calling (709) 864-4445.


B. Updating Your Address
The Office of the Registrar uses e-mail accounts as a tool to communicate with students. If you have not already set up your account, you should do so at However, it is still important that you update the permanent (PR) address you have provided to us through Memiorial Self-Service. As well, you should update your local address, which is used primarily to contact you during the semester should the need arise. Likewise, if you register in distance education courses you should ensure that you have provided a distance education (DE) address. Distance Education, Learning and Teaching Support (DELTS) uses the DE address-type on Memorial Self-Service as the address of first reference when mailing your information and materials. If a DE address-type is not specified, DELTS will use your permanent address type.

Changes should be made using Memorial Self-Service or by submitting the Change of Address(es) Form available from the Office of the Registrar.


C. Establishing and Altering Your Registration
A good strategy for getting access to the best selection of courses is to register at your assigned registration time and to pay careful attention to your initial registration. It is your responsibility to ensure the suitability and accuracy of your registration. Failure to register in the proper courses for your program or failure to drop and/or add courses prior to published deadlines will result in academic penalties. Academic penalties include a failing grade on your permanent record (transcript), and a revoking of 2013 Spring Semester registration.

If you wish to alter your original registration for any reason, you must go through the drop and add process. Changes in registration are not official unless you use the drop and add process. If you wish to change courses after registering but before the add deadline, use Memorial Self-Service. In those cases where the system will not let you add or drop, it will be necessary for you to use a course change form. Course Change Forms and Cancellation of Registration Forms, which contain instructions for completion, are available at the Office of the Registrar, and the Academic Advising Centre in St. John's and the Office of the Registrar at Grenfell campus. The Course Change Form is also downloadable as a pdf file here. The form is valid only if properly stamped or signed by the Registrar’s Office.

Most courses may be dropped using Memorial Self-Service up to the deadline to drop courses without academic prejudice, February 25.

The university will not, as a matter of routine, drop courses for you. If you remain registered in courses you do not intend to complete you are effectively preventing another student, who may need the courses to graduate, from registering. Please, in consideration of your fellow students, drop as early as possible those courses which you do not plan to complete.

Moreover, students who have registered for courses, but who decide not to attend Memorial University will incur financial and academic penalties for those courses unless they are officially dropped before the deadlines.


D. Financial Obligation
Tuition fees and all other fees are due upon registration. This includes the fees for the upcoming semester, and any outstanding fees from previous semesters. Once you register for courses you are financially liable for them unless you drop them by the appropriate deadlines.

For courses added on January 7 or later, tuition must be paid within 48 hours or a late payment penalty will be assessed.

For courses dropped after the start of classes, tuition will be refunded on a prorated basis according to the schedule below.


January 7 to 21 100%
January 22 to 28 50%
January 29 to February 4 25%
after February 4 0%

In the case of special sessions, accelerated courses and courses offered outside the normal time-frame of a semester or session, deadlines for withdrawing from the university without academic prejudice and financial liability will be prorated accordingly.