Transcript Definitions

Official and Unofficial Transcripts

An official transcript is one that is sent directly to Memorial University by the issuing authority using the sending institution security features ( ie secure paper or institutional seal) and has not been handled by the student in any way.

An unofficial transcript is one that is either marked as unofficial by the issuing authority or is submitted by the student directly to the Office of the Registrar.

Interim and Final Transcripts

An interim transcript is one that is submitted to the Office of the Registrar at or near the time of application that reflects in-progress registrations at the sending institution (See "Confirmation of Registrations" below).

A final transcript is one that reflects final results for all courses completed with no interim registrations remaining. Normally, a final, official transcript is required in order to make a final decision regarding admission eligibility or, for transfer students, for transfer credit evaluation.

Confirmation of registrations is often included in the interim transcript issued by the issuing authority if the transcript is issued while courses are in progress. If courses are in progress but these current registrations are not reflected on the transcript, confirmation of course registrations may be in the form of a letter or separate document issued by the appropriate authority.

Issuing Authority

All official transcripts required by Memorial University for students who are applying for general admission to the University or a specific faculty or program must be sent directly to Memorial by the issuing authority and not by the student. Transcripts that are not produced in English must be translated and this copy must be notarized.

The issuing authority for transcripts and other confirmations may change from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. University or College transcripts are normally issued by the institution’s Registrar’s Office. Official transcripts for high school studies may be issued by the government office responsible for education, by the school district, or by the school itself. Guidance Counsellors or Principals can confirm this if a student is not sure of the issuing authority for their high school records.