The Board of Regents shall appoint a Governance Committee in accordance with the following terms:
The Committee shall comprise:
- Five (5) members from the Board. They shall be appointed by the Chair of the Board who shall designate one (1) member to be Chair and one (1) member to be Vice-Chair.
- The following ex-officio members:
(i) The Chair of the Board of Regents
(ii) The President and Vice-Chancellor
(iii) The Chancellor
- The following non-voting, ex-officio member:
(i) The Executive Director of the Office of the Board of Regents;
- The General Counsel who shall be invited to attend all meetings of the Committee in a non-voting capacity to provide advice to the Committee related to its business.
- The Secretary to the Board of Regents who shall serve as non-voting secretary of the Committee.
Other individuals may be invited by the Committee Chair to attend meetings in a non-voting capacity as necessary.
The appointed members shall serve for two years.
Quorum shall be a majority of voting members.
The Governance Committee shall oversee the governance affairs of the Board as outlined in “D. Responsibilities” bearing in mind the principles of transparency, accountability, inclusiveness and effectiveness.
- To periodically review the bylaws of the Board of Regents and to make recommendations for change when appropriate.
- To oversee the development, assessment and review of the Board’s orientation and continuing education programs.
- To oversee the development, assessment and review of Board policies.
- To oversee the nomination and succession planning process for the Board Committees (including Committee Chairs, Vice-Chairs and membership) and to recommend nomination and succession planning processes for the Board membership.
- To provide for the periodic assessment of the effectiveness of the Board, its Committees and its members in their capacity as Regents.
- To assume such other governance responsibilities as may be delegated to the Committee by the Board from time to time (e.g. oversight of the budget for the Office of the Board of Regents).
Annual Review of the Terms of Reference – approved December 3, 2015