Procedure for Declaration and Disposal of Surplus Assets
Approval Date: 2017-05-11
Effective Date: 2017-06-01
Responsible Unit: Department of Facilities Management
1. Unit Heads complete a Declaration and Disposal of Surplus Property Form, supplied by the Department of Facilities Management (FM), for Surplus Assets and submit it to the Campus Facilities Management unit. This form must be approved by the appropriate Unit Head, or designate.
2. Campus Facilities Management arranges for the removal of Surplus Assets approved for disposal, administers the contract for auction services, and completes financial transactions related to recycling, trade-in and sale by public auction.
3. All sales completed under this procedure will be on the basis of "as is, where is" with no express warranty applied. All sales will be final and cash or a certified cheque will be required at the time of the sale.
4. In all cases where bids on Surplus Assets are tendered, normally the highest bid is accepted. For those tenders where the highest bid is not accepted, approval of accepted bid is required by:
a. the Director of Operations and Maintenance, Facilities Management at the St. John’s campus
b. Associate Vice-President (Administration and Finance) at Grenfell campus
c. Associate Vice-President (Administration and Finance) at the Marine Institute
5. Where a Surplus Asset is of a specialized nature and disposal by public auction is not expected to attract the appropriate category of buyer, Unit Heads may recommend an alternate method of disposal. Such recommendations are made in writing to the head of Campus Facilities Management to verify consistency with past practice and require the approval of the Vice-President (Administration & Finance). Campus Facilities Management provides administrative guidance to complete the disposal action.
6. In the case of disposal of a Tangible Capital Asset, the Permanent Tag must be removed from the Surplus Asset before disposal. Additionally, Campus Facilities Management forwards a copy of the Declaration and Disposal of Surplus Property Form to FAS after it has been approved by:
a. the Procurement Officer at the St. John’s campus
b. The Director of Facilities Management at Grenfell campus
c. The Manager of Facilities and Technical Services at the Marine Institute so that the Tangible Capital Asset Inventory Listing, may be adjusted.
7. In the case of restricted articles or devices storing electronic records, the Procedure for Declaring Restricted Articles as Surplus must be followed.
8. If the Surplus Asset was purchased with research grants or contract funding, any guidelines for disposal applicable to the research grant or contract must be followed. Contact the Research Accounting section of FAS, in these situations.