Please Enter a Search Term
PROCEDURE FOR SELECTING A PRIME CONSULTANT WITH A DESIGN COMPETITION
- The Director of FM prepares the competition rules appropriate for the project (taking into consideration the guidelines of the Newfoundland Association of Architects and/or the Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Newfoundland and Labrador). The rules may vary from project to project and must be approved by the President and the Board of Regents.
- FM determines the type of consulting service required and develops a project brief for use in the selection process.
- FM reviews Source Files and prepares a list of candidate Prime Consultants which it deems are suitable for the project.
- FM recommends to the Vice-President (Administration and Finance) a Selection Advisory Committee (SAC) consisting of:
- The Director of FM
- An Assistant Director of FM
- Representatives of Faculty or User Groups or, in the case of Grenfell Campus, the Vice-President (Grenfell) or his/her delegate
- Others as appropriate for the project
- The Vice-President (Administration and Finance) approves the membership of the SAC.
- FM invites candidate Prime Consultants to submit a brief indicating the makeup and expertise of the architectural and/or engineering team (including subconsultants) proposed for the project, the understanding of the proposed project, the manner in which the work is intended to be performed, and the fee structure.
- The SAC reviews the submissions and may interview the candidate Prime Consultants and subconsultants. Past work experience relative to the University is also considered.
- The SAC selects a small number (normally no more than four) candidate Prime Consultants and invites them to prepare conceptual designs. A set fee will be paid to each invited Prime Consultant for the preparation of their conceptual designs. The amount of this set fee will be determined on an individual project basis.
- The President appoints, upon consultation with the Director of FM and the Vice-President (Administration and Finance), a Jury to evaluate the conceptual designs.
- The Jury evaluates the designs and reports on their appropriateness, strengths, and weaknesses.
- The SAC reviews the Jury's report and identifies the strengths and weaknesses of the candidate Prime Consultants and makes a recommendation of the preferred Prime Consultant. The report from the SAC and Jury are forwarded to the Vice-President (Administration and Finance) for comment and forwarding to the President. The President then submits the aforementioned documentation, together with any additional comments, to the Board of Regents.
- The Board of Regents considers the reports, associated information and recommended preferred Prime Consultant, and decides the Prime Consultant.
- FM communicates the decision of the Board to the successful proponent.
- In the event that subconsultants are not part of the team proposed by the Prime Consultant, separate approval must be obtained from the Board of Regents for their appointment.
Policies using this procedure: