Board Adopts Another New Policy
Highlights of the policy are:
- All employees are responsible for privacy protection and all are expected to undertake privacy awareness training.
- Deans and Directors are responsible for establishing and maintaining privacy measures in their units (through the unit privacy officer).
- The University has adopted the privacy protection principles from the Canadian Standards Association model code on privacy and PIPEDA.
- All new/modified projects involving personal information will be required to undertake the Privacy Compliance Checklist, with the exception of projects subject to research ethics board review.
The Board also adopted a set of Procedures to guide the implementation of the policy in such areas as:
- Administering privacy measures
- Checking privacy compliance
- Correcting/annotating personal information
- Managing a privacy breach
The policy statement and its related procedures can be found at www.mun.ca/policy and further information can be obtained by contacting the University's Information and Privacy Protection office at www.mun.ca/iapp or 737-8214.
Other Board Business on Policy
During the summer months, the Policy Oversight Committee of the Board of Regents approved proposals to proceed with development of a Prospect Clearance policy, a Contract Administration policy and a Violence policy.
As well, during its September meeting the Board of Regents agreed to delegate authority to the Senior Executive Committee to make minor editorial amendments to policy documents without having ot proceed through the formal policy development process, with the rquirement that all such changes would be reported to the Board. Minor editorial changes are considered to include, updates of a policy as a result of approval of another policy (i.e., a related change), addition of definitions of terms, re-titling of positions, committees, etc.