Graduate Scholarships and Fellowships
All graduate students in the Department are offered a minimum level of financial support, provided that eligibility criteria are met. The current (2015-2016) minimum rates are:
M.Sc. students, $17,700 per annum for up to two years
Ph.D. students, $19,200 per annum for up to four years.
The minimum rates for 2016-2017 are:
M.Sc. students, $19,000 per annum for up to two years
Ph.D. students, $20,500 per annum for up to four years.
This support is derived from several sources, including fellowships from the School of Graduate Studies, teaching assistantships from the Department and research assistantships.
The Dean's Doctoral Award, valued at $5000 per annum, is awarded to a limited number of prospective PhD students at the time of admission. This award is added to the minimum stipend for PhD students.
Scholarships and Awards
- NSERC masters scholarships (Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship-Masters Program)
- NSERC doctoral scholarships (Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship-Doctoral Program and NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships-Doctoral Progam
- Vanier doctoral scholarships (Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship)
Receipents of NSERC and Vanier graduate scholarships also receive the Dean’s Excellence Award, valued at $5,000 per year for the duration of the scholarship, and may also hold two teaching assistantships, for $2,489 per year.
- Canadian Association for Graduate Studies/Proquest UMI Distinguished Dissertation Award
- Canadian Association of Physicists B. P. Stoicheff Memorial Graduate Scholarship
- A G Hatcher Memorial Scholarship
- J. Bruce and Helen H. French Graduate Scholarship in Physics
- Gordon Mertz Memorial Fellowship in Physical Oceanography
- Charles Butler Graduate Scholarship
Collaborative Research Awards
- Mitacs Globalink funding for collaborative international research in India, France, and Tunisia.