Dr. Laurie Twells
Cross appointment with Faculty of Medicine
Dr. Twells completed a Master of Science in Epidemiology and Health Policy at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the London School of Economics in London, UK before completing her PhD in Clinical Epidemiology at Memorial University.
Research Areas of Interest:
- Prevention, management and treatment of obesity
- Childhood obesity
- Infant nutrition
- Child and maternal health
- Health services research
- Clinical epidemiology
Teaching Areas of Interest: Epidemiology, Clinical Epidemiology, Research Design and Methods, Health Policy and Health Systems
- The NL Bariatric Surgery Cohort (BaSco) Study - a pre-experimental study with pre-surgical and post-surgical assessments of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (bariatric) surgery
- The Feeding Infants in NL (FiNaL) Study - a provincial population-based prospective cohort study of over 1000 expectant women and assessment of maternal attitudes to infant feeding
- Twells LK, Midodzi W, Gill N, Halfyard B, Burrage L, Murphy-Goodridge J, Schiff R, Newhook L. Assessing Infant Feeding Attitudes of Expectant Women in a Provincial Population in Canada: Validation of the Iowa Infant Feeding Attitude Scale. Journal of Human Lactation 2014. DOI:10.1177/0890334414559647
- Twells LK, Gregory D, Reddigan J, Midodzi W. The current prevalence and future predictions of obesity in Canada: a trend analysis. CMAJ Open 2014;2(1):E18-E26.
- Gregory Deborah, Temple Newhook J, Twells LK. Patients perceptions of waiting for bariatric surgery: a qualitative study. International Journal for Equity in Health 2013; 12:86. DOI:10.1186/10.1186/1475-9276-12-86.
Dr. Laurie Twells
Phone: (709) 777-8920