Dr. Laurie Twells
Phone: 709 777 8920
- Associate Professor
- Joint appointment with Faculty of Medicine
- 1992 BA Economics - Memorial University of Newfoundland
- 2000 MSc Epidemiology and Health Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (UK)
- 2008 –PhD Clinical Epidemiology, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Prevention, management and treatment of adult and childhood obesity
- Bariatric surgery as a treatment for obesity
- Infant feeding in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Health systems research
- Health policy
- Quantitative analysis
- Canadian Public Health Association
- NL Public Health Association
- NL Provincial Breastfeeding Coalition
- NL Breastfeeding Coalition Research Group- Chair
- The Canadian Obesity Network
- The Obesity Society (US)
- Study uncovers low awareness of the health risks of obesity (January 2011 - MUN Today)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Pharmacy 3501 Research and Evaluation I
- Pharmacy 4501 Research and Evaluation II
- Pharmacy 4502 Research and Evaluation III
- Medicine 6250 Clinical Epidemiology
- Medicine 6255 Research and Design
- Medicine 6260 Applied Biostatistics
Infant Feeding, Maternal and Child Health
Twells L, Newhook L. "Can exclusive breastfeeding help to reduce the disturbing trend of childhood obesity occurring in some regions of Canada?" in Canadian Journal of Public Health 2010;101(1):36-9.
Twells L, Newhook L, Ludlow V. (2011, In Press) "Does Breastfeeding reduce the risk of Childhood Obesity?" in Childhood Obesity, In-tech publishing.
Ludlow V, Newhook L, Temple Newhook J, Bonia K, Murphy Goodridge J, Twells L. (Accepted). "Formula Feeding Mothers Provide Insight into how Infant Feeding Decisions are Made" in Health Risk and Society.
Newhook LA, Sloka S, Grant M, Randell E, Kovacs C, Twells L. "Vitamin D insufficiency common in newborns, children, and pregnant women living in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada" in Journal of Maternal and Child Nutrition, 2009.
Twells LK, Bridger T, Knight JC, Alaghehbandan R, Barrett B. "Obesity predicts primary health care visits: a cohort study" in Population Health Management 2011; doi:10.1089/pop.2010.0081
Twells L, Knight J, Alaghehbandan R. "The relationship among body mass index, subjective reporting of chronic disease and the use of health care services in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada" in Population Health Management 2010;13(1).
Bader M, Hawboldt J, Twells L. "Risk Factors of Cellulitis Treatment Failure with Once-daily Intravenous Cefazolin plus Oral Probenecid" in Southern Medical Journal 2011; 104(12):789-93.
Young S, Bishop L, Twells L, Dillon C, Hawboldt J, O'Shea P. "Comparison of Pharmacist Managed Anticoagulation with Usual Care in a Family Medicine Clinic" in BMC Family Practice 2011, 12:88doi:10.1186/1471-2296-12-88.
Health Care Restructuring
Twells L, Doyle M, Gregory D, Barrett B, Parfrey P. "Acute care restructuring in Newfoundland: the history and impact on costs" in Journal of Health Services Research and Policy 2005;10(Suppl 2):4-11.
Way C, Gregory D, Doyle M, Twells L, Barrett B, Parfrey P. "Acute Care Restructuring in Newfoundland and Labrador: Impact of Hospital Aggregation on Health Care Provider Outcomes" in Journal of Health Services Research and Policy 2005;10(Suppl 2):58-67.