Bachelor Of Nursing Post-RN

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I receive information on the application process for Memorial University ’s Bachelor of Nursing (Post-RN) program?

You can telephone at 709-777-6272, or email a complete mailing address to You can visit the forms section of this website and download the nursing application, reference, health assessment form, immunization form, and the tentative program plan here.

What are the application deadlines?

The Bachelor of Nursing (Post-RN) Program is currently under review and is not available for admission at this time.

What documents are required to complete my application process?

Students applying to the BN (Post-RN) program are required to complete the following and submit to the Office of the Registrar: Memorial University application, nursing application (for new applicants and students who were registered for courses at Memorial in either of the two immediately preceding semesters), Health Assessment form, Immunization form, one reference (download forms from web site), and proof of registration.

What is the difference between a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) and a Bachelor of Nursing (BN)? Is it recognized in other provinces throughout Canada?

Both degree notations are equivalent and are regarded as such in any university in Canada. Memorial University School of Nursing Bachelor of Nursing degree is accredited by the Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing (CASN). Graduates from the program are employed worldwide in hospitals, community health departments, schools, industrial workplaces, among other settings. Many have continued their formal education at the MN and PhD level.

Can I apply if I am a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)?

No. This program requires students to already be a registered nurse in order to be admitted.

How long does it take to complete the program?

There is no limit on the length of time it takes a student to complete the program. Students set their own pace since most have work and family responsibilities.

Is it possible to complete nursing courses before being admitted into the program?

Any registered nurse, who is accepted to Memorial University of Newfoundland and provides proof of registration as a registered nurse, can register for any of the 2000 level nursing courses before being admitted into the Bachelor of Nursing (Post-RN) program.

I am a registered nurse and work in a health care setting daily – why do I have to complete the Health Assessment and Immunization forms?

Some of our nursing courses have a clinical practice component. Obtaining information about your health status and immunization status helps us satisfy requirements of clinical placement agencies.

How do I obtain transfer credits from another university?

In order to receive other transfer credits from another university, you will need to have an official transcript forwarded to Barbara Adams, Office of the Registrar, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John’s, NL, A1C 5S7 for a transfer credit evaluation.

I plan on completing a course(s) at another university. Is there a process I need to follow?

To ensure that a course you complete at another university will be accepted for transfer, you should request a letter of permission from the Office of the Registrar at Memorial University. This must be done BEFORE you register for a course. Applications for a Letter of Permission are available from the Office of the Registrar.

Can a student obtain transfer credits for CNA certification or other post basic courses/programs?

Credit for CNA certification can be used as an unspecified nursing elective (3 credit hours) or a student may also challenge a specific clinical option course. See our Prior Learning Assessment Policy at which outlines options available to registered nurses enrolled in the Bachelor of Nursing (Post-RN) program.

I completed the Health Assessment course offered at the Centre for Nursing Studies. Can I obtain credit for N2040 at Memorial?

N2040 can be waived provided an official transcript is forwarded to MUN School of Nursing from the Centre for Nursing Studies. This waiver, however, does not reduce the total number of credit hours required for the BN degree. If a surplus course has not already been completed, an extra elective course must be successfully completed to meet the total number of credit hours required to graduate.

I completed the Nurse Practitioner Course at the Centre for Nursing Studies. Can these courses be transferred to the baccalaureate degree?

Three courses within the Nurse Practitioner Course at the Centre for Nursing Studies have been deemed equivalent to courses in the BN (Post-RN) program. A maximum of two of the three courses (six credit hours) can be transferred from the Nurse Practitioner program. Applicants will indicate which two of the three courses they wish transfer credit to be given.

Is there a limit to the maximum amount of credit hours which can be applied to the nursing program?

In addition to the 45 credit hour block awarded to students for successful completion of a diploma program in nursing, the maximum amount of credit hours which can be applied to the nursing program, through either formal study at a non-AUCC member institution or non-formal study which has been evaluated by examination, is 6 credit hours.

If my grade in a course is below 65%, am I eligible to write a supplementary exam?

If your grade is between 60% - 64%, you may be eligible to write a supplementary exam. Only three supplementary examinations in nursing courses can be written during the program.

How do I order my textbooks?

You can order your textbooks by completing the online form available at the MUN Bookstore website.

How do I make tuition payments?

Tuition payments can be made in your Student Web Account. Select the icon ‘Financial Information’, then select the icon ‘Credit Card Payment’, and fill out the required information. For further information, please contact the Cashier’s Office.