N2230 - Teaching/Learning
Delivery Mode: Web Course
Credits: Three credit hours
Prerequisite: Registered Nurse
Overview: This course introduces the student to the theories, principles and methods of learning and teaching and to their application in nursing practice.
Knowledge of Human Being
- describe the basic concepts and tenets of teaching and learning theories.
- describe the general principles of teaching/learning as they apply to individuals of different age groups.
- apply principles and methods of teaching in selected
Knowledge of Environment
identify environmental and sociocultural factors which influence learning.
Knowledge of Nursing
- discuss the educator role in nursing.
indicate the influence that professional nursing standards and health care institution accreditation documents have on this role.
Competency of Communication
identify communication difficulties which have an impact on teaching and learning.
Competency of Reasoning/Learning
- develop a teaching plan for a patient based on the teaching process.
- propose creative and/or innovative approaches to a hypothetical or actual clinical teaching situation.
Attitudes towards Clients
discuss the components of client compliance and how it relates to motivation to learn.
Attitudes toward the Profession
- identify legal and professional mandates to support the dimension of education as nursing caring.
- discuss influences in health care today which affect the nurse's role of educator.
Attitudes toward Self
- use constructive evaluation from peers and faculty to enhance learning and professional development.
- identify factors that influence one's own learning.
- appraise one's own learning styles.
- analyze the impact of self in teaching learning situations.
|Unit 1||?-?|| Health education and nursing
|Unit 2||?-?|| Theories and Principles of Learning
|Unit 3||?-?|| Theories and principles of Teaching
|Unit 4||?-?||Selecting, Preparing and Using materials (Written & Internet)|
|Unit 5||?-?||Needs assessment - What does the patient want or need to know?|
|Unit 6||?-?|| Assessing patients
|Unit 7||?-?||Planning - What and when to teach|
|Unit 8||?-?||Implementing - How to teach|
|Unit 9||?-?||Teaching across cultures|
|Unit 10||?-?|| Evaluation of Outcomes
Evaluation: To receive credit for N2230, students must
achieve a course composite grade of at least 65 per cent.? The
student is evaluated through discussion exercises, minor paper, major
paper and a final examination.
For Further information contact:
|?||Academic Program Administrator||(709) 777-6272|
|?||Associate Director, Undergraduate Programs||(709) 777-6679|