Frequently Asked Questions

Applicants to the MN program are advised that revisions have been proposed to the MN practicum, MN Nurse Practitioner, and Post MN Nurse Practitioner Graduate Diploma Options.

These changes include one additional course in the practicum option, and changes to courses in the other options. The website will be updated with the revised program information in mid Winter 2016 once final approvals have been obtained. The changes will be in effect for students who begin their studies in September 2016.


Where can I apply for funding?

The following web site provides information about limited funding for full time thesis students:
Canadian Institutes of Health Research
The following web site provides information about funding for full time thesis or practicum students:
Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Applied Health Research.

The following web sites provide information about funding for full time or part time students, in thesis, practicum, or nurse practitioner MN programs:
The Association of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador.
The Canadian Nurses Foundation.


What is the residence requirement for the MN program?

Residency is defined by registration of a graduate student and participation in a community of learners and instructors. Participating in on-line discussions is required to meet the School of Graduate Studies' residency requirement. You do not have to come to St. John's, Newfoundland to meet the residency requirement for the practicum and the thesis options.  You are required to come to St. John's for short periods of time for the NP options.


Is it possible to enroll as an unclassified student and take a course(s) before starting the Master's program?

We are no longer able to accept students into MN courses until they are admitted into the program.


How can I receive information on the application process for Memorial University's master of nursing program?

General information regarding all graduate programs, including tuition and fees, application deadlines and process, and admission requirements, as well as the online application forms are available online: .


What are the application requirements and deadlines?

The minimum entry requirements are a bachelor of nursing degree with a "B" standing, and a stand-alone research, and an undergraduate statistics course. Should you require more information please refer to the University Calendar entry concerning the graduate program in nursing. You can do this by going to the web address, next click on master of nursing and then scroll down to the bottom of the page to locate Review Regulations for Master of Nursing.


How long does it take to complete the program?

There are three options offered that lead to a master of nursing degree: (1) Thesis option, (II) Practicum (non-thesis) option, and (III) Nurse practitioner option. Normally the programs will require two years to complete when taken on a full time basis or four years on a part time basis. In addition to the MN degree program, the School of Nursing also offers a post master's nurse practitioner diploma..

Full-Time Versus Part-Time Status

A full time or part-time status does not depend on the number of courses taken in a term or a year. A full-time graduate student is one who registers as such, devotes full time to his or her academic program and may not commit more than 24 hours a week to matters other than the degree program, e.g., working, including teaching assistant or research assistant duties. A part-time graduate student is one who is registered for the duration of a semester and is not classified as full-time. Only full-time students are eligible for University Fellowship funding. The fee schedule per term varies according to status, but the overall costs of the program are the same.

What is the cost of the program?

Please go to the following webpage to obtain this information -


What is the cost of the post Master's Nurse Practitioner Graduate Diploma?

The NP diploma fees may be found on the following web page -


I graduated from my BN quite a while ago. Must I find two professors who taught me to be my referees?

The Letter of Appraisal form, which is to be completed by referees, is a university-wide form. In the School of Nursing we ask that at least one of your referees be from a current or former professor. Other referees could be your work managers. If it has been a number of years since you attended university, your academic referee could be someone who taught you continuing education courses.

Can the MN (Nurse Practitioner Option) or the Post Master's Nurse Practitioner Graduate Diploma be taken by distance education?

The program may be taken full or part time via distance education.  You may choose the family/all ages or the adult stream of practice.  You will be required to come on campus for 3-4 days several times throughout the program for labs, clinical skills practice and testing.


School of Nursing

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000