Philosophy / Objectives
The School of Nursing programs are based on three major
- that nursing is a dynamic and creative process, encompassing
the interaction of the nurse, the client, and the environment;
- that, as one of the health professions, nursing develops,
tests, and uses theoretical and scientific knowledge; and
- that caring for human beings and promoting change toward health
are central to nursing. Preparation for nursing requires a broad
knowledge base not only in nursing and health sciences but also in
the humanities and the natural and social sciences.
Nursing knowledge is concerned with the patterns of human behaviour
as they evolve through interaction with the environment.
Nursing practice is based on theoretical and scientific knowledge and
aims to promote health in a variety of settings.
The School of Nursing programs are designed to provide students
with a liberal education which prepares them to be direct
care-givers, teachers, counsellors and advocates for their clients.
The students will be encouraged to perform these roles in a caring
manner. The courses in the programs will contribute to the
knowledge, competencies and attitudes of graduates so that they
- Provide for and facilitate comprehensive and effective client
- Convey an awareness of and respect for the values, dignity, and
rights of human beings;
- Recognize the extent to which personal values and attitudes
influence the interaction with and care of clients;
- Apply current knowledge from nursing and other disciplines in
any client care environment;
- Apply scientific methods while maintaining the holistic
- Take account of the influences of social, cultural, political
and economic forces on the health and lifestyles of
- Communicate and work effectively with other health
professionals, agencies and governments in dealing with client care
- Become self-directed in the pursuit of excellence;
- Be analytical, critical, and independent thinkers;
- Use previous experience and education to enhance their
knowledge base and competencies;
- Affirm the values and standards of the nursing
- Recognize that learning is a continuous life-long process.