School of Music Mission Statement
The School of Music is a centre for creativity and collaboration through performance, research and education wherein tradition and innovation meet. In this role the School focuses not only on the advancement of musical discovery among its students, staff and faculty, but also provides leadership and stimulates communication within the musical, educational and artistic communities of Newfoundland and Labrador. The School is committed to the development and growth of the highest standards of musicianship and musical research within the university and beyond to national and international communities of professional and university-based musicians.
The School aspires
- To assure the highest standard of professional, post-secondary education for the development of musicians and music educators, recognizing a particular responsibility to students from Newfoundland and Labrador.
- To confirm the School of Music as one of the premier professional institutions in music in Canada, offering comprehensive and innovative B. Mus. programs that support a balanced student population and the curricular breadth to sustain concentrations in music education, music history and literature (including ethnomusicology), performance (all standard orchestral instruments, keyboard and voice), and theory and composition.
- To consolidate and enhance focused, innovative and professional graduate programs of national and international stature in performance, performance/pedagogy and conducting through its M.Mus. degree program and research intensive M.A. and Ph.D. programs in ethnomusicology.
- To develop an international reputation of excellence by promoting the achievements of the School’s faculty and students, assisting in the dissemination of these results through touring and publication, and by encouraging international exchange.
- To offer School of Music faculty the support and resources necessary to continue their professional advancement and renewal as scholars, composers and performers.
- To value and celebrate the excellence in teaching, creativity and research achieved by the School’s faculty.
- To sustain and enhance a vibrant, generous, supportive and responsible community among the students, staff and faculty at the School of Music.
- To contribute actively and effectively to a sustainable environment across the University as a whole.
- To provide leadership and encourage collaborative practice in the development of the cultural activities and infrastructure of the region and the province.
- To provide a unique curricular complement and range of cultural activities to the university community at large.
- To operate the School in a professional and efficient manner.
- To effect invigorating renewal and effective succession planning during the 2010-2015 period.