School of Music Mission Statement
The School of Music is a centre for creativity and collaboration
through performance, research and education wherein tradition and
innovation meet. In this role the School focuses not only on the
advancement of musical discovery among its students, staff and
faculty, but also provides leadership and stimulates communication
within the musical, educational and artistic communities of
Newfoundland and Labrador. The School is committed to the
development and growth of the highest standards of musicianship and
musical research within the university and beyond to national and
international communities of professional and university-based
The School aspires
- To assure the highest standard of professional, post-secondary
education for the development of musicians and music educators,
recognizing a particular responsibility to students from
Newfoundland and Labrador.
- To confirm the School of Music as one of the premier
professional institutions in music in Canada, offering
comprehensive and innovative B. Mus. programs that support a
balanced student population and the curricular breadth to sustain
concentrations in music education, music history and literature
(including ethnomusicology), performance (all standard orchestral
instruments, keyboard and voice), and theory and composition.
- To consolidate and enhance focused, innovative and professional
graduate programs of national and international stature in
performance, performance/pedagogy and conducting through its M.Mus.
degree program and research intensive M.A. and Ph.D. programs in
- To develop an international reputation of excellence by
promoting the achievements of the School’s faculty and
students, assisting in the dissemination of these results through
touring and publication, and by encouraging international
- To offer School of Music faculty the support and resources
necessary to continue their professional advancement and renewal as
scholars, composers and performers.
- To value and celebrate the excellence in teaching, creativity
and research achieved by the School’s faculty.
- To sustain and enhance a vibrant, generous, supportive and
responsible community among the students, staff and faculty at the
School of Music.
- To contribute actively and effectively to a sustainable
environment across the University as a whole.
- To provide leadership and encourage collaborative practice in
the development of the cultural activities and infrastructure of
the region and the province.
- To provide a unique curricular complement and range of cultural
activities to the university community at large.
- To operate the School in a professional and efficient
- To effect invigorating renewal and effective succession
planning during the 2010-2015 period.