Guidelines for web maintenance
Once your site is live, ensure that it is updated regularly.
- Update contact lists and any other
content that can change frequently.
- For academic sites, post current course
information in time for the coming semester.
- Check the links on your site regularly to
ensure they bring your visitors to the right page and fix broken
links as needed.
- Delete Site Builder pages (php files) and files you've uploaded
(Powerpoint, PDF, etc) if they've become outdated. Even if you
aren't linking to them on your site, visitors will still be able to
find them by using the Search tool and will get inaccurate
- Don't recreate material that already exists on another page.
Simply link to that page and give your visitors easy access to the
most current information.
- Use photos to add visual interest to your pages and complement
the text and links. But don't use copyrighted images without
- Marketing and Communications has a photo gallery
of images that you can use on university websites. Or check out
royalty-free photo services online to get stock photography.