Frequently asked questions
...about integrated marketing at Memorial
- What is integrated marketing?
- Why does Memorial need to do integrated marketing?
- What is a brand? Why is it important for Memorial to have one?
- What is Memorial’s brand positioning?
- How can I get advice on adopting the brand within my unit?
An expert in educational marketing, Larry Lauer puts it well:
“A holistic approach to organizational communications, integrated marketing combines the power of marketing, advertising and public relations and involves the entire organization in communicating a consistent message.”
When all institutional marketing efforts are co-ordinated and focused, their impact is greater.
Memorial University has ambitious goals for the recruitment of students nationally and internationally, for fundraising from alumni, donors and companies, and for attracting research funding from external organizations, among others.
Achievement of these goals requires that the university have a comprehensive and integrated marketing program designed to reach specific audiences with a planned effort.
When there is no consistent look and feel or strategic direction guiding the presentations of Memorial to all these audiences, our image is fragmented and our messages uncoordinated.
At its core, a brand is a promise, based on a set of values. Components such as logos, slogans, campaigns and promotional materials are manifestations of the promise – one that is true to who we are as an institution; unique when compared to other universities; and salient, such that our constituents will be engaged by our promise.
Our goal was to capture and express a singular, compelling idea about Memorial that will engage our audiences, enhance profile and reputation, and help advance the university’s position locally, nationally and internationally.
Memorial’s uniqueness emanates from the resourceful, tenacious, independent character and spirit of the institution, its people and the province, characterized by:
- Ingenuity — because there’s a need
- Exploring — because we have the opportunity
- Solving problems — because they get in our way
- Freedom — because we have a safe, supportive environment
- “A culture of doing, of ability” and “striving and independence and grit,” as two stakeholders said
The notion of brand positioning represents how an organization wants its constituents to see them and talk about them — how the brand is ‘positioned’ in the hearts and minds of key audiences.
The focus of our brand strategy is: Memorial provides the freedom to explore and experience your ingenuity.
Both accurate and aspirational — key requirements for brand positioning — this statement provides the focus for all institutional marketing efforts, though this exact wording does not appear in any ad or brochure.
What the positioning statement says about Memorial:
- It’s core to how we approach learning, teaching and research
- It’s reflected in the breadth and flexibility of our offerings
- Our ingenuity and resourcefulness demand it
- Our supportive and safe environment makes it possible
- It’s true to our history, our character, our spirit as a place and a people
Marketing & Communications will be pleased to meet with university units to discuss their marketing needs and how our office can assist. Call 864-8663 or email email@example.com.