Last updated: March 6, 2014
Funding: Consult with the graduate coordinator or your supervisor to find out which of these opportunities may be appropriate for you to apply for. For SSHRC funding, be aware that the Department of Linguistics sets internal deadlines which are earlier than deadlines announced on the graduate funding section of the SSHRC website. To be eligible to apply for SSHRC funding you must be a permanent resident or citizen of Canada. Other eligibility criteria are listed for each award at the SSHRC website. International students should check Memorial's website www.mun.ca/scholarships/internationalstudents.
The 2014 deadline for submitting an SSHRC (Doctoral or MA) application to the Department of Linguistics will be in October 2014, at a date to be announced closer to the time.
EXTERNAL FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
- Master's Scholarships: applications are available later in the year (late Summer, Fall) through the NSERC website for Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Scholarships. 17,500 for 12 months, non-renewable. Students apply through the Linguistics Dept, not directly to NSERC. Applications are evaluated by a committee at Memorial Unviersity. To coincide with the submission of applications in the Fall semester, Linguistics 7000, offered in Fall 2014, provides guidance in developing nad crafting fellowship applications.
Each year Memorial University has a quota that is set by NSERC (maximum number of applications it can recommend for funding) - in 2013 the quota for the CGS Master’s Scholarship competition was 16.
- SSHRC Doctoral Awards: Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarships ($35,000 per year for 36 months); SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships ($20,000 per year for 12, 24, 36 or 48 months).SSHRC deadlines are in January, MUN internal deadlines are earlier (November): Deadlines for 2014, TBA.
Memorial’s quota in 2013 for SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship competition was 19.
INTERNAL FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
- ISER funding opportunties: Doctoral fellowship, deadline Feb 10, 2014; Masters Fellowship (deadline March 1, 2014; ISER research grant, deadline March 1, 2014; ISER conference grant, deadline March 1, 2014).
- Smallwood Foundation: Research grant and Conference grant, deadline October 1, 2014.
- Northern Science Training Program (NSTP): The deadline for submission to the NSTP Secretariat is December 1st each year. The Memorial internal deadline is generally early in November.