Service Name: Wired Connectivity to MUNet
Information Technology Services (ITS) provides a data network, connecting over 10,000 computers across campus. The primary medium is Category 5/5e/6 UTP Ethernet cabling; however fibre optic and wireless connections have increased over time. Network wall plates are located in most offices, laboratories, and classrooms for use by faculty, staff and students across campus.
- Data speed is 10 megabits per second, and full duplex for wired connections. Network servers may be connected at higher speeds as required.
- Category 5E patch cables will be supplied as required for a user’s Macintosh, PC or network printer. Only one patch cable is provided per wall plate.
- ITS issues IP addresses using a central DHCP service.
How to request this service:
By phone, fax, email and in person:
- Service requests can also be submitted by completing an online form
Out of Scope:
- Marine Institute
- Grenfell Campus
- This is a 24/7 Service
- There are currently no scheduled service windows for maintenance.
- Scheduled outages are announced 3 days ahead of time where possible via the newsline and ITS webpage.
- Requests for service is logged and monitored by the ITS Service Desk.
- Phone calls will be answered 85% of the time within 1 minute. A queuing system is in place to facilitate phone calls in an orderly manner
- The email queue is monitored on a real time basis during regular business hours and replied to within 24 business hours.
- It normally takes 3 days from the time a user initiates a network service request to the time the network connection is working.
- In the event that additional infrastructure work is needed to be carried out by the Facilities Management team, response time can be two weeks or more. This time depends on the nature of the work required.
Processes and Tools:
- To request a network connection, a user contacts the Service Desk and completes the Network Service Request form
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- The ITS Service Desk is the front-line contact for end users
- Network & Communications Group staff are responsible for any technical services required to set up the network connection.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Bandwidth usage.
- Number of connections.
- Time to close network service requests.
- Client Satisfaction
- Number of unscheduled outages (total time).
Revision: March 2014
Service Owner: Manager, Network & Communications Group