Before You Arrive
- Decide about housing
- Set up your portal account and MUN e-mail
- Join Our Online Community
- Things New Students Need to Know
- Book temporary housing
- Airport greeting service
- Attend Welcome Week Events
- Calculate your international student costs
- Join our Online Sessions/Webinars
- Students should bring extra copies of important documents
If you wish to live on-campus you must submit an application to the Student Residences Office. You may apply online for on-campus residence as soon as possible. Still have questions? Email email@example.com.
Set up your portal account and MUN e-mail
- Once you are offered admission to Memorial University, you will be assigned a MUN Portal (my.mun.ca) account, Self-Service account and an "@mun.ca" e-mail account by the university's ITS division.
- You should set up your my.mun.ca account, including your self-service account and e-mail account as soon as possible. Please note it is important that you check your @mun.ca e-mail frequently as communications from the university will be sent to your mun e-mail account.
Activate your Memorial Self-Service account
- Still have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive updates on our programs, services and events!
Do you still have questions? Email email@example.com
On-campus residence check-in begins in May 5, 2018 at 9:00am at Hatcher House 313. You must submit a housing application and receive a housing offer in order to check in. If you arrive before this date you will require temporary housing. Still have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Math Placement Test (MPT) will be written May 7th at 7pm. Register for the test through your self-service account and search for 1MPT.
Lectures begin for spring semester on May 7, 2018
Arrive a few days before classes begin: If you arrive early feel free to do some siteseeing but this may add additional expenses with regard to temporary housing and food.
Book your flight as early as possible: Ensure you choose your ideal travel dates by booking your flight now. Flights fill quickly just before the beginning of each semester.
Allow at least two hours for the immigration process at the Port of Entry (POE): You will go through the immigration process at the first Canadian airport you enter. This process can take up to two hours.
Check the location of your campus: Make sure your flight takes you to the correct campus. We have campuses in three cities: 1) St. John's, Newfoundland, 2) Corner Brook, Newfoundland and 3) Harlow, England.
If you are studying in St. John's book your flight to Airport Code YYT:
- Another city in Canada has a similar name: St. John, New Brunswick and it is over 1700 kilometres away from Memorial University. If you are using a travel agent, ensure they book Airport Code is YYT.
Late Arrivals: We recommend that you arrive before classes are scheduled to begin, however if you are arriving late, notify your instructors or your supervisor (if you have one). If you cannot make it on time & you wish to be considered for a future semester undergraduate students may request a deferral by contacting this email. Undergraduate students requiring new letters from Memorial regarding the fact they will be late must email this office.
Graduate students should contact the School of Graduate Studies with all their requests.
All students must ensure they include their full name and student number in all their requests to staff and faculty at Memorial University
Options for traveling to the Island of Newfoundland
Still have questions? Email email@example.com
If you arrive between April 23, 2018 and May 14, 2018 late at night or early morning hours you may request to be greeted at the St. John's International Airport (YYT) by our friendly MUN student greeters. Make your request by following these 3 steps:
1. Set up or activate your My MUN account (directions noted above)
2. Order your Student ID card via your My MUN account by clicking the 'Student' tab at the top; launch the 'Student Services' tab; click 'Internationalization Office' and then order your 'campus card' / student ID
3. Through the same channel request an 'airport greeting' once you have ordered your campus card within the 'Internationalization Office' tab noted above.
*Please note students are reminded to bring enough Canadian money to pay for their taxi fare from the airport to their first night of accommodations.
*Also note there is no currency exchange kiosk at the St. John's International Airport (YYT).
Visitor Information Centre (VIC) at YYT
Be advised that there is an abundance of information for you at the VIC in the arrival's area of the St. John's International Airport. You can find maps, accommodations & transportation information and much more at the VIC. They are open until 11:30pm every night except Saturdays. On Saturday the VIC closes at 5:30pm.
Bring Canadian cash or a credit card that works in Canada for the taxi ride from the airport to your accommodations. Our greeter will assist you and explain to the taxi driver how you will pay and where your destination is in the city.
Are you an English as a Second Language (ESL) student?
If you are joining the 12-Week Intensive English program and you are arriving in the spring/summer sessions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a part of the Internationalization Office registration process the information sessions will provide you with important information on things such as health insurance, immigration and other initiatives with our office. Dates and times of the information sessions have been posted in the above link
Join our Online Sessions/Webinars