Before You Arrive
- Decide about housing
- Set up your portal account and MUN e-mail
- Join Our Online Community
- Things New Students Need to Know
- Book temporary housing
- Airport greeting service
- Attend Welcome Week Events
- Calculate your international student costs
- Join our Online Sessions/Webinars
- Students should bring extra copies of important documents
If you wish to live on-campus you must submit an application to the Student Residences Office. Apply for on-campus residence as soon as possible. Still have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Set up your portal account and MUN e-mail
- Once you are offered admission to Memorial University, you will be assigned a MUN Portal (my.mun.ca) account, Self-Service account and an "@mun.ca" e-mail account by the University's Computing and Communications (C&C) division.
- You should set up your 'my.mun.ca' account, including your self-service account and e-mail account as soon as possible & checking your @mun.ca e-mail frequently as communications from the university will be sent to your mun e-mail account.
Activate your Memorial Self-Service account
- Still have questions? Email email@example.com
Receive updates on our programs, services and events!
Do you still have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- On-campus residence check-in begins September 3rd at 9:00am
You must submit a housing application and receive a housing offer in order to check in. If you arrive before this date you will require temporary housing. Still have questions? Email email@example.com
- The Math Placement Test (MPT) will be written on September 5th. Register for the test through your self-service account and search for 1MPT. See here for more information
- Lectures begin for fall semester on September 6, 2017
- Write the EPT on September 2nd at 10:00am
If you have questions email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arrive a few days before classes begin: If you arrive early feel free to do some site seeing but this may add additional expenses with regard to temporary housing and food.
- Book your flight as early as possible: Ensure you choose your ideal travel dates by booking your flight now. Flights fill quickly at this time of year.
- Allow at least two hours for the immigration process: You will go through the immigration process at the first Canadian airport you enter (POE). This process can take up to two hours.
- Check the location of your campus: Make sure your flight takes you to the correct campus. We have campuses in three cities: 1) St. John's, Newfoundland, 2) Corner Brook, Newfoundland and 3) Harlow, England.
- If you are studying in St. John's book your flight to Airport Code YYT
- Another city in Canada has a similar name: St. John, New Brunswick and it is over 1700 kilometres away from Memorial University. If you are using a travel agent, ensure they book Airport Code is YYT.
- Late arrival: We recommend that you arrive before classes are scheduled to begin. If you will be arriving late, notify your instructors or your supervisor (if you have one). If you cannot make it on time and you wish to be considered for a future semester undergraduate students may request a deferral by contacting the Office of the Registrar. Graduate students should contact email@example.com with their deferral request.
- Options for traveling to the Island of Newfoundland
Still have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Available from August 23 - September 13th between the times of 11:00pm and 4:00am
If you arrive in St. John's (airport code: YYT) between August 23rd and September 13th between the hours of 11:00pm and 4:00am please be on the look out for senior MUN students ready to assist you at the airport. Please note you no longer have to register for this service & students are responsible to pay for their taxi fare from the airport to their accommodations.
Visitor Information Centre (VIC) at YYT
Be advised that there is an abundance of information for you at the VIC in the arrival's area of the St. John's International Airport. You can find maps, accommodations & transportation information and much more at the VIC. They are open until 11:30pm every night except Saturdays. On Saturday the VIC closes at 5:30pm.
Bring Canadian cash or a credit card that works in Canada for the taxi ride from the airport to your accommodations. Our greeter will assist you and explain to the taxi driver how you will pay and where your destination is in the city.
Are you an English as a Second Language (ESL) student?
If you are joining the 12-Week Intensive English program and you are arriving in the spring/summer sessions, please contact email@example.com.
As a part of the Internationalization Office registration process the information sessions will provide you with important information on things such as health insurance, immigration and other initiatives with our office. Dates and times of the information sessions have been posted in the above link