Exchange and Study Abroad Re-Entry Workshop
Memorial University’s Internationalization Office is offering a one-day workshop for international exchange students to help ease the transition of moving from one culture to another.
If you have ever grappled with these questions, this is workshop might be for you:
- Have you been living and studying abroad in another culture and are either returning home or have recently returned home?
- Have you had challenges abroad with adjusting to the new culture or readjusting to the old one at home?
- Do you find your old friends don’t really ‘get’ your stories of living abroad? Do they easily tire of conversation about it?
- Would you like to find a place to really talk about your experience abroad with other students in the same boat?
This one-day event will allow exchange students to connect with others “in the same boat” – having lived and studied abroad. You will get a chance to explore together the process of cultural change with the goal of informing and easing your experiences of adjustment to the new or readjustment to the old
It offers structured activities to help unpack your cultural experiences and clarify their benefits when communicating about your experience abroad in job interviews, pursuing future academic goals, or just in every day conversation. A chance to expand on those pivotal experiences in the future and create future pathways to make the most of your international experience will also explored.
The workshop will be led by Chris Cumby and Lisa Hoffe, experienced student counsellors and Master’s candidates in Education, who also bring the lived experience of studying and working abroad.
The one-day workshop is open to Memorial University students or those exchange students currently studying at Memorial
Time, Location, & Registration
- Date: Friday, April 7th
- Time: 10 am to 3 pm
- Location: Education (ED) 3005
- Alternative date: Friday, April 21st, 10 am to 3 pm, location TBD
- Lunch and refreshments will be served.
- Registration: To register for the workshop please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org