Diversity Education Fund
The Diversity Education Fund is in its second year of funding supported by the Strategic Internationalization Fund. This fund will continue to allow for meaningful learning opportunities for University employees. In addition to individual learning initiatives, funding for group learning, such as, the payment of diversity facilitators or trainers is also available.
The primary purpose of this fund is to continue building an inclusive working and learning environment by:
- Engaging and educating employees in diversity and intercultural issues
- Improving communications and interactions among students, faculty and staff in situations where diversity and cultural differences are a factor
A selection committee will review applications and make decisions on the disbursement of funds. Distribution of monies from this fund requires cost-sharing by other university units, and /or funding from external sources.
The following eligibility criteria must be met:
- Must be an operationally funded employee of Memorial University at the time of application and have been at Memorial for at least one year
- Must have approval from his or her supervisor for time away from work and for cost-sharing
- Must be able to provide confirmation of cost-sharing at time of application.
If you are planning a unit workshop or educational event, please complete the facilitator application form and if you are requesting to attend a workshop or conference, please complete the individual training application form.
In addition to the application form, your application package must include the following supporting documents:
- Travel request form ( if applicable)
- Detailed breakdown of all costs associated with attending the event. These costs can include air transportation, ground transportation, meals, accommodation and registration fees. Please refer to the Travel-General Policy for further information
- A statement regarding personal relevance of training to applicant's personal and professional goals (maximum 250 words)
- Description of the conference, seminar or course
- Plan outlining the ways the knowledge gained will be disseminated
The application deadline for this intake is 5:00 pm on May 14, 2014. Application packages can be sent to Yvonne Collett, in either electronic or paper format. Late applications will not be accepted. Confirmation of funding and support from your unit is required in the application submission-this can take the form of an e-mail or signature on a travel request. Applications will only be processed upon receipt of a complete application package.
Selection Criteria and Evaluation Process
All submitted applications will be reviewed and evaluated by the selection committee. The committee is comprised of a team of university employees and administrators from a range of departments. The selection committee will make decisions on the disbursement of funds. A call for application for funding will be held twice yearly. The committee will evaluate each application on the basis of the following criteria:
- The degree to which the training serves the needs of the University
- The relationship of the training to the applicant's personal and/or professional goals
- The merit of the proposed training
- Demonstrated involvement in diversity related activities and events
Distribution of Funds
Distribution of monies from this fund will require cost sharing by other university units, and / or funding from external sources. This fund will not only enable access to individual learning initiatives, but will also provide funding for group learning, such as, the payment of facilitators or trainers in the diversity and educational initiatives field.
Requirements and Responsibilities
One of the principles of this fund will be knowledge distribution. Individuals will be required to share the knowledge gained with others within the university. Employees who receive funding will prepare a Statement of Impact as part of the evaluation of the pilot project. The supervisor must provide an opportunity for dissemination of knowledge through formal or informal presentations at staff meetings, or other departmental communications.
For further information or clarification, please contact Robert Barker or Sonja Knutson:
Co-chair of the Diversity Education Fund
Phone: (709) 864-4627
Director, International Centre
Phone: (709) 864-3228