Kory Harnum Alumni Profile
Name: Kory Harnum
Program: Bachelor of Recreation (Co-Op)
Year of graduation? 2015
1. What is a career highlight since graduation that you would like to share? After completing my final work term with St. John’s IceCaps, I accepted a full-time position as Co-ordinator, Community Relations and Fan Experience. I'm now heading into my third season with the team.
2. How and why did you decide to attend Memorial for your degree? It allowed me to stay in Newfoundland and Labrador and the school’s tuition rate was one of the lowest in the country.
3. What drew you to your chosen degree? I have a passion for sport and community involvement.
4. Do any particular memories stand out from your time here as an student? The HKR professors and staff show a genuine concern for the success of their students and you know they want nothing but the best for you.
5. What did you learn while in your program that’s been particularly helpful in your career? As long as you work hard and put in the work, the results will speak for themselves.
6. What’s the best piece of advice you ever received? Work hard. Keep perspective. Show gratitude. I try and live by this each day.
7. What’s a typical day like for you? During the season, I am preparing for game days, scheduling anthem singers, organizing and supervising staff responsible for overseeing on-ice and in-stand promotions. I am the liaison for sponsors who have kiosks set up on the concourse or in-game features they are promoting. I also assist with community appearances by our players or our mascot to schools or special events around the metro area. We work to ensure the IceCaps brand is seen around the community in a positive manner.
8. What advice would you give a student who is unsure of what to study? Find your passion and pursue it. It is important you enjoy the field of study you will be working in for the next 30+ years of your life.