Principal PublicationsFor more detailed information on select books, click on the coloured hyperlinks.
- (Fish out of Water: The Newfoundland Saltfish Trade, 1814-1914.) Breakwater Books, St. John's: 1986.
- (The Ice Hunters: A History of Newfoundland Sealing to 1914.) Breakwater Books, St. John's: 1994.
- Newfoundland - Spanish Saltfish Trade: 1814-1914. Harry Cuff Publications, St. John's: 1983.
- (Seals and Sealers: A Pictorial History of the Newfoundland Seal Fishery based on the Cater Andrews Collection.) (Assisted by Martha Drake). Breakwater Books, St. John's: 1987. Edited: Chafe's Sealing Book: A Statistical Record of the Newfoundland Steamer Seal Fishery, 1863-1941, Breakwater Books, St. John's: 1989. (207 pp. with "Biography of Levi Chafe")
- Shannon Ryan and Larry Small, eds., Haulin' Rope and Gaff: Songs and Poetry in the History of the Newfoundland Seal Fishery (Introduction by S. Ryan). Breakwater Books, St. John's: 1978.
- Elizabeth Abbott Ed-in-Chief, Chronicle of Canada Montreal: Chronicles Publications, 1990, 980 pp. Chief Historical Consultant: JMS Careless, University of Toronto; Special Consultant: Donald B. Smith, University of Calgary; Historical Consultants [Newfoundland]; Shannon Ryan and George Story; Writer [Newfoundland]: Shannon Ryan. [116 short pieces on Newfoundland and Labrador dealing with topics form the Viking period to the closing of Mount Cashel.]
- The Seal and Labrador Cod Fisheries of Newfoundland, Vol. 26 in Canada's Visual History Series, National Museum of Man, Ottawa, 1978.
- "The Newfoundland Cod Trade in the Nineteenth Century," Newfoundland in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Century, edited by James Hiller and Peter Neary, University of Toronto Press: 1980.
- "Fishery to Colony: A Newfoundland Watershed, 1793-1815," Acadiensis (XII, No. 2), Spring, 1983. Reprinted twice in the Acadiensis Reader Vol. 1. (ed. by Phil Buckner and David Frank).
- "Newfoundland: Fishery to Canadian Province", a chapter in Atlantic Canada: At the Dawn of a New Nation published by Windsor Publications, California and Burlington, Ontario: 1990.
- "The Newfoundland Seal Fishery and the Industrial Revolution," International Journal of Maritime History (IV, No. 2), December, 1992, pp. 1-43.
- "Newfoundland Spring Sealing Disasters, " Northern Mariner (III, No. 3), July 1993, 15-48.
- "Portugal, " Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador vol. 4, pp. 404-8. (1993).
- "Newfoundland Sealing Strikes, 1830-1914, " Northern Mariner / Le Marin du nord (IV, No.3), July 1994, 19-37.
- "Sealing, " Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador vol. 5, pp. 118-25. (1994).
- "The Personal Experience Narrator as Historian: The First Time Andy Short was Shipwrecked," The Newfoundland Quarterly, (LXXIII, No. 2), Summer 1977, 4-13.
- "The History of the Seal Fishery", The Evening Telegram, March 26, 1983.
- "The Fishing Station," Horizon Canada, 1985, (O, No. 8), pp. 169-75.
- "Seals Spelled Survival," Horizon Canada, 1985, (III, No. 27), pp. 638-43.
- "Fish Stages," Newfoundland Historic Parks Association pamphlet, 1985.
- Technical Report for the Royal Commission on Seals and Sealing in Canada. 1986. "A historical overview of Canadian/Newfoundland/World sealing and the part this industry played in the development of The Atlantic Canadian/Newfoundland economy".
- "Newfoundland and the Portuguese Connection", The Evening Telegram, June 1986.
- Co-authored with Dr. Melvin Baker, MUN University Archivist, "The Newfoundland Fishery Research Commission: 1930-1934," in James E. Candow and Carol Corbin, eds., How Deep is the Ocean?. University College of Cape Breton Press, 1997, pp. 161-72.
- Co-edited with Dr. Melvin Baker and Dr. Helen Peters, English Department, MUN, People of the Landwash: Essays on Newfoundland and Labrador by George M. Story. St. John's: Harry Cuff Publications, 1997.
- "Traditional Commercial Sealing in Newfoundland", published in From Red Ochre to Black Gold, edited by Darren McGrath, St. John's: Flanker Press, 2001.
Published in The Telegram
- "Andy Short's first trip to the ice: 1925", April 11, 1987.
- "The Viking Disaster, 1931, and George Adams", April 18, 1987.
- "Cyril S. Chafe and Bowring's Sealing Plant", April 27, 1987.
- "A Labrador Stationer in 1962: Joe Ryan's Story", May 9, 1987.
- "Father O'Brien's long trip from Italy", May 19, 1987.
- "Forty summers of fishing at the White Bear Islands [Andy Short]", July 4, 1987.
- "Nurse Melendy of Fox Cove", October 10, 1987.
- "Edward Russell: A Newfoundlander in the Boston States, 1903-1912", June 18, 1988.
- "John P. Chaisson: Un Terre Neuvien", June 14, 1989.