Please Enter a Search Term

Frequently Asked Questions and Important Things to Know.

Who can be seen at Student Wellness and Counselling Centre?

Student Wellness and Counselling Centre is available to current REGISTERED students of Memorial University and its affiliated institutions (eg. Marine Institute). Children of students are welcome. Spouses and children of international students are welcome.

Please be on time for your appointment. If you are 10 or more minutes late you will have to reschedule and you will be charged $30.00 for a missed appointment!

We are not able to see university staff or employees.

What should I bring when I visit Student Wellness and Counselling Centre?

 1. Don't forget your Health Insurance Card!

The University will bill the appropriate paying agency for the eligible medical

services received at the Student Wellness and Counselling Service. For Newfoundfoundland and Labrador patients this will be MCP (Medicare Plan). It is essential that you bring your MCP card when you visit the clinic.

Students from other Canadian provinces are required to bring their provincial medicare cards. PLEASE NOTE: Students from the Province of Quebec are charged directly for services rendered. We can accept cash, interac or credit card.

International students are required at registration to enroll in a university medical insurance plan. The premium for the academic year is due at the time of registration. You might also be eligible for provincial medical care coverage called MCP (medical care plan). A personal medical insurance certificate will be issued by theOffice of Student Affairs and must be presented by the student each time medical or hospital services are required. The student must also sign a claim form for each medical or hospital service rendered.

As well, non-resdients of Canada are required to sign a governing law and jurisdiction agreement prior to treatment by a physician at Student Health, as advised by the Canadian Medical Protection Agency. By signing this agreement, the international student agrees that "the Courts of the Province or Territory of Newfoundland and Labrador shall have exclusive and preferential jurisdiction to entertain any complaint, demand, claim, proceeding or cause of action, whatsoever arising out of treatment". In simple terms, any legal issues must be pursued in Newfoundland courts, and not in foreign territory. Without this signed agreement, a student cannot be seen at student health.

As well, as of 2006, international students should note that StudentGuard Insurance covers ACUTE illness only, and NOT chronic conditions.

2. Medical Records

New students to MUN are encouraged to bring a copy of their medical records to the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre. This is especially important for students who:

  • have chronic or recurrent illness, e.g. asthma, diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, seizure disorders;
  • require refills of prescription drugs; this is particulary essential for monitored medications like opiod painkillers, psychoactive medications like Ritalin, etc.
  • have a physical disability, e.g. cerebral palsy, spina bifida, visual or hearing impairment; or
  • have a history of mental illness.
  • have multiple allergies and/or drug intolerances
  • international students with serious health issues are encouraged to get a translated copy of their records if possible

With your consent, we can arrange to have transfer of your past records from your previous family physician/specialists.

Should you wish to have your records transferred from the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre, there is a fee.


3. Medications

You should bring your medications with you every visit, so no mistakes are made regarding medications.  An appointment is required for all prescription renewals.  Please call 30 days in advance to book your appointment.

4. A Friend

We understand that visiting a doctor can be a stressful experience. If you feel more at ease, bring a friend. This may be particularly helpful if you are an international student and have difficulty with English, and need a friend to help you translate what you need to say.

5. Money

Unfortunately, there are some services that are not covered by Medicare. These include for example "Medicals" (pre-employment, SCUBA, driver's license, life insurance, etc.), legal letters, transfer of medical charts and sick notes***. Uninsured services must be paid for by the student, at rates set by the Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association. We can accept cash, interac or credit card.

***The Senate Committee on Undergraduate Studies is developing a revised sick note policy, in consultation with faculty. Therefore, the current practice of students not being required to provide sick notes for short-term illnesses will continue during the fall 2015 semester and will continue until otherwise notified.

Students prevented from completing work and seeking an alternate evaluation are directed to verbally declare to relevant professors illness or medical conditions of less than five days duration that will affect their participation in classes, labs and/or evaluations related to their courses or programs.

However, students must still conform with General Academic Regulations (Undergraduate) 6.7.3, which requires that a written request be made within one week of the original date of the examination.

A decision by the Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association (NLMA) in February 2014 resulted in the university adopting a short-term measure regarding sick notes for the winter and spring 2014 semesters. This short-term measure was announced to cover the period required for the university Senate to develop and approve policy changes with regard to sick notes that will need to align with this new direction from the NLMA to all physicians.***

 Where do I go for bloodwork and x-rays?

Bloodwork is performed at Health Sciences Centre 07:30-15:00 Monday-Friday on a walkin basis. The doctor will tell you if you need to fast for your tests.

X-rays are performed at Health Sciences Centre 08:00-15:00 Monday-Friday on a walkin basis.

How do I get my test results?

In general we encourage you to make a follow up appointment to review your lab results. This ensures that nothing is missed and you have closure regarding your results. If results merit more urgent follow up, we will contact you to return to clinic.

How do I get referred to a specialist?

Depending on the nature of your medical problem, you might require evaluation by a specialist, for diagnosis and/or treatment.

We will contact the specialist and arrange an appointment, and inform you of the place and time. If you haven't heard back from Student Wellness and Counselling in a week or so, please check with us regarding status of your referral.

What about sick notes?

We are able to provide sick notes as required by professors/instructors for major assignments and exams, but it is important that you present during your illness. The only way we can "certify" that you were sick is if we see you when you are sick. Sick notes are subject to a small fee of $10.00 as per recommendations of Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association.  Walk-in clinics are not for notes. Notes must be written by the physician who has been following your illness.

PLEASE NOTE: The Senate Committee on Undergraduate Studies is developing a revised sick note policy, in consultation with faculty in 2015. Therefore, the current practice of students not being required to provide sick notes for short-term illnesses will continue.



If MUN is closed due to weather, holidays., or otherwise,  the clinic is also closed.