Newfoundland and Labrador Community Economic Development Awards 2008
Sponsored by the Newfoundland and Labrador Regional
Economic Development Association (NLREDA)
Nomination Deadline: Monday, October 20, 2008
The Community Economic Development Awards are a celebration of the accomplishments and spirit of the economic development community in Newfoundland and Labrador. This event will provide all of those involved in regional and community economic development with a great opportunity. Specifically, they will be able to recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of individuals and organizations who have excelled as leaders in community economic development in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Award Categories
- Award Criteria
- Who Can Nominate?
- Important Dates
- Benefits for Nominees and Award Winners
- What is the Selection Process?
Excellence in Partnerships
• This award recognizes exceptional efforts and achievements in organizations partnering to achieve positive results in economic development. Partnerships can include the community, private enterprise, and/or economic development organizations/agencies.
Excellence in Fostering Entrepreneurship
• This award recognizes an organization or individual’s distinguished effort to promote, mentor and/or foster an enterprising attitude resulting in an overall economic gain for the business, education or the community.
Excellence in Best Practices
• This award recognizes a Regional Economic Development Board that has demonstrated a commitment to developing or adopting the most effective techniques, methods, processes, activities, or incentives.
Excellence in Youth Leadership
• This award recognizes an individual youth or youth group that has demonstrated active participation in community economic development, initiative, visibility, leadership, and a shown success of engaging youth.
The NLREDA - Leslie Harris Award for Excellence by Memorial University Faculty, Staff & Students in Regional Development
• This award recognizes an individual or group of faculty,
staff and/or students from Memorial University for their
o Linking teaching and research to the needs of communities and organizations working to advance rural and regional development
o Responsiveness in addressing requests for assistance from community partners
o Advancing the knowledge mobilization capacity of Memorial and/or the community to enhance university-community collaboration
Herbert D. Brett Lifetime Achievement
• This award recognizes an individual or organization whose work has made lasting contributions to the economic development community and has demonstrated outstanding achievement by empowering people to foster economic growth.
These awards will be presented at a gala banquet held during the annual general meeting of the Newfoundland and Labrador Economic Development Association, at the The Battery Hotel in St. John’s on Thursday, November 20th.
Selection will be based on demonstrated in one or more of the
• Innovation and Creativity
• Engagement of Community Members
• Visibility in Community
• Increased Efficiency and Effectiveness
• Partnership with Other Groups and Organizations
• Support for Training Opportunities
• Mobilizing Academic and Community Knowledge to meet Local Challenges
• Expansion of Existing or Creation of New Industry
• Long-term, Sustainable Benefits to Communities
• Level of Volunteer Effort
• Any person or organization that wishes to recognize
contributions of an individual or organization that has been
instrumental in promoting community economic development.
• Anyone can nominate themselves or a group.
• Nominees, whether groups or individuals must reside or be residents of Newfoundland and Labrador.
• Nominees can be nominated in more than one category, however, a separate nomination must be completed for each award category.
• Deadline for nominations October 20, 2008
• Finalists announced October 27,2008
• Awards Luncheon November 7, 2008
• Finalists and award winners will be profiled by the
Newfoundland and Labrador Regional Economic Development
• Finalists and award winners will be promoted to the local media
• Award winners will enhance their community profile
• The finalists in each category will be invited to the Awards Luncheon being held at the Battery Hotel, St. John’s, NL.
The finalists and winners of the awards will be chosen by the Newfoundland and Labrador Community Economic Development Awards Selection Committee, which is made up of members of the following organizations:
• Municipalities Newfoundland and Labrador
• FINALY! (Futures in Newfoundland and Labrador’s Youth)
• Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Community Business Development Corporations
• Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
• Department of Innovation, Trade and Rural Development
• The Leslie Harris Centre for Regional Policy and Development, Memorial University
To be entered for consideration, nominations must include the following information:
Name of Nominee (Individual, Group or Organization being nominated for award):
Name of Nominator (if different from Nominee)
Please choose the award category(s) that applies to this nomination:
• Excellence in Partnerships
• Excellence in Fostering Entrepreneurship
• Excellence in Best Practices
• Excellence in Youth Leadership
• The NLREDA-Leslie Harris Award for Excellence by Memorial University Faculty, Staff & Students in Regional Development
• Herbert D. Brett Lifetime Achievement
Support Letter - Write a brief description of the individual, group or organization in support of the nomination for a Community Economic Development Award.
Please attach any supporting documentation to this nomination form outlining the individual, group or organizations accomplishments. Examples of supporting documentation could be: articles, reports, brochures, media clippings, testimonials, organization literature etc. Nominations must be received by October 20, 2008 and can be dropped off, mailed or e-mailed to:
Ted Lomond, Executive Director
460 Torbay Rd
St. John’s, NL A1A 5J3
Phone: (709) 576-1052