During 1944 and 1945 RAF Hunsdon was home to six Royal Canadian Air Force squadrons. 406 (Lynx), 409 (Nighthawk), 410 (Cougar) and 418 (City of Edmonton), equipped with the deHavilland Mosquito, flew night-fighter and then daylight intruder missions. Numbers 441(Silver Fox) and 442 flew the North American Mustang III. The first Commanding Officer of the base was Squadron Leader Peter Townsend of 85 Squadron who became better known to the world after the war when he became a suitor of the Queen's sister, Princess Margaret.
At first glance, it may seem that nothing survives of this airfield except a few segments of perimeter track and a runway now used by ultra-light aircraft. However quite a few buildings survive in the surrounding hedgerows and woods, although there is no right of way to any of the surviving buildings and anyone wishing to see them must seek the permission of the landowner. The airfield was defended by 12 pillboxes and the same number of gunpits and FC type 'mushrooms'. Six of the pillboxes survive in Tuck Spring Wood, Blackhut Wood, at the rear of Hunsdon Lodge Farm, in the private drive at Drury Lane and two along the perimeter track. The underground battle headquarters with its above-ground observation room is still there, but is flooded and unsafe. A rare 20 mm ammunition storage building can still be found in Blackhut Wood, along with a small arms store, and a searchlight crew latrine and clothes drying shelter survives in Tuck Spring Wood.