Station Road: West Side

Station Road: West Side

Oakwood Mews, consisting of 7 cottages and flats, was built in 2004 on the site of Darlington Motors, which moved to Edinburgh Way in the late 1990s. Arthur Sutton was the first motor engineer in Old Harlow, and he established his business here in 1914. He was succeeded in 1925 by Dearloves Garage and petrol station which also had workshops across the road. During the Second War the workshops were taken over by F.D. Products, which manufactured fish paste. In 2003 the workshop site was sold and Darlington Court was built on it.

Sutton adOakwood Mews

In the mid 1950s E.C. Careless, ‘China and Hardware Stores: Any and Every Necessary Article For Your Home’ traded out of premises in a cottage at the end of a narrow alley known as The Dockyard, apparently because horses were brought here to have their tails docked. The cottages were demolished to make way for an extension to Darlington's premises. Select House now occupies part of the site.

Bayford Shop.  Originally a smithy, the building was converted in 1937 to a butcher's shop by Mr. Bayford, and a
first floor flat, known as Bayford's Flat until ca 2003, added. The flat has now been converted to commercial premises occupied by P.J. Conveyancing Services. Previous occupants of the ground floor were: Caroline Mitchell Hairdressers, which relocated to the New Hall Estate in 2010; Geoffrey Matthew Estate Agents, prior to their relocation to High Street, and Kent and Brown's Turf Accountants. Since 2010 the ground floor has been occupied by Mulberry Green Estate Agents whose address is 'Bayford Shop, Old Harlow'. 


The Old Butcher's Shop


Evans' Garage

Evans Garage is the successor to the builder's yard of S.C. Aldridge and, before that, the yard of The George.

Contact

Harlow Campus

230 Elizabeth Ave

St. John's, NL A1B 3X9 CANADA

Tel: (709) 864-2530

Fax: (709) 864-2552

becomestudent@mun.ca