Market Street: North Side
The Chequers is an early 18th century house that was divided into two tenements in 1777. The date of its conversion to a pub is not known, and it is not identified as a public house (P.H.) on the Ordnance Survey maps of 1875, 1921 or 1947. During the 1970s Tony's Cafe was located in its back yard although accessed from Station Road.
4-6 Market Street
Equity House. Occupied by Centurion Properties and the Harlow Business Centre. This is a relatively new building on the site occupied in the 1950s by Mary O'Sullivan's house and shop, then Lucking's Butchers and a shoe repair shop. The Bishop Stortford Dairy Farmer's milk depot was behind this range of shops. After the major rebuilding of Market and High Streets in 1969 Wilce Taylor, the area's wholesale distributor of newspapers and magazines, took over all these premises which were replaced by offices and the cottages of Black Lion Court in 1989.
16-26 Market Street
Terraced cottages, ca.1900-10. The small porches were added during the renovations carried out in 1969 and the Old Harlow Conservation Area report considers them to have been an inappropriate addition.
28-32 Market Street was formerly known as St. John's Villa, home of Charlie Coleman and the showroom of C.M. Coleman and sons. The building was supposed to be demolished during the extensive renovation of High and Market Streets in 1969, but the building was given a reprieve and converted into two cottages and four flats. They were originally owned by Harlow Council.
Dellfield Court. A block of flats, built in 1969 on the site originally occupied by the shop and showroom owned by John Coleman, ironmonger, decorator and dealer in hand tools, hardware, and builder's materials. The business was later taken over by his son C.M. (Charlie) Coleman. Coleman's Yard (number 35 on the 1969 map of Market Street) was broken up and the area added to the back gardens of the cottages in St. John's Walk now known as Cabot House.
38*- 40* Market Street
The Crown is a 15th century building that was originally jettied. It was recorded as an Inn by 1703 when the justices of the quarter sessions lunched here.
Number 38 was owned as a separate unit in the late 19th century when it was modified and re-fronted. For more than 50 years, beginning in 1932, it belonged to Tommy Gladwin. He and his wife Florence, usually called Florrie, operated a general store which local boys referred to as 'Tom's grocery'. Prior to the First World War Gladwin's family operated a Market Street confectionery specializing in home-made ice cream. Tommy rejoined the family business after service in the British army between 1916 and 1918. He moved from Market Street into this house in 1932 and began his life as a greengrocer and grocer, working a 12-hour day, six days a week (from 6:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.) and from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Sunday. He bought a tricycle to use for deliveries in 1922 and used it for 38 years. In 1960 he replaced it with a green Gundle Box Carrier tricycle built across the street by John Collins - a tricycle that was well-known by everybody in town. It is now part of the cycle collection in the Museum of Harlow.
On the morning of Friday, October 1, 1976 Gladwin felt ill and closed the shop for the first time in living memory. He died later that afternoon. His widow, popularly known as 'Mrs. Tom', ran the store until it closed in 1986.
In 1996 the abandoned store was bought by Greene King Brewery and re-integrated into the Crown. During the conversion one of the ground floor rooms was found to contain what the Department of National Heritage describes as "two very rare panels of early 18th century wall paintings depicting red and yellow flowers. These are an imitation of Chinese-inspired wallpapers to avoid the wallpaper tax which was in effect between 1712 and 1836." They are now preserved behind glass panels.
42 Market Street*
This is the east end of a mid-18th Century range of tenements. It was formerly a shop run by H.M. (Bert) Fish, Fruitereer and Greengrocer, and his wife, Lillian. When Mrs. Fish ceased trading, the building was vacant for some time before being taken over by the dentist Dr. P.S. Arbon. After she moved her practice the building was taken over by a succession of dentists: the Graceland Dental Clinic, the Mulberry Dental Clinic and now the Harlow Dental Surgery.
44-46 Market Street*
This is the west end of a mid-18th Century tenement range. For many years this was the house and shop of butchers. Butchers named Barker are listed in the commercial directories between 1878 and 1922 for either Back or Market Street and sometimes Market Square.
Elizabeth Barker specialized in pork. She traded in the High Street between 1878 and 1898 and moved to Broad Street (now Broadway) in 1908. Henry Barker, and then Wilfred Barker traded out of this building in Market Street. After Henry’s death in 1954 the premises were taken over by Wilfred Norman. His slaughter yard was located behind the building on a site now occupied by two sets of garages and a parking lot. The building was purchased by Memorial University in 1973 and converted into two flats.
50 Market Street
'Cheshar' is a 19th century brick house, now converted into flats.
48 Market Street*
'Dial House' is a mid-18th century, timber-framed house. The date 1762 is inscribed in the plaster on the original rear wall of the house, now enclosed by a later extension. The motto on the sundial over the front door says 'Waste no Time 1759'. In the late 19th century this was the home of John H. Thurgood, farmer, baker and miller who owned the Latton Mill. His farm near Harlow produced a variety of Red Wheat which won a silver cup at the London Agricultural Show in 1880. At some point before its conversion to a residence it was Meredith's Sweet Shop.
52 Market Street
As early as 1874 this was John Thurgood's bakery. It is easily identified in old photographs by the three clipped trees and the decorative fence in the front. The bakery closed in 1912 and the shop was taken over by Mr. Savage, 'Gentleman's Outfitters'. In time this became Savage and King which traded here until the summer of 2003. The original wooden Savage and King shop sign is still there, hidden behind the modern plastic sign which advertises the current occupant, Future Let Estate Agents.
54-58 Market Street*
Three early to mid 19th century brick cottages.
60 Market Street*
'Nunn's' is a red brick house, ca. 1700. It has been a single dwelling since the 1960s but was previously two premises. The to the report of the Roads and Planning Committee of Harlow Council which proposed the re-numbering of the properties in Market Street. The other shop, originally No. 62 on the corner of Broadway, was occupied in 1908 by Mrs. Elizabeth Barker, the pork butcher, according to Kelly's Directory, and in 1956 by A. Schnaubelt.