Please Enter a Search Term



Sweden-Canada Youth Exchange Program

*Make sure you consult the websites below for the most thorough and up to date information regarding visas*

Swedish Embassy in Canada: Embassy of Sweden
377 Dalhousie Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 9N8
Phone:+1-613-244 8200
Fax:+1-613-241 2277
This program is aimed at Canadian citizens between 18 and 30 years. A fixed number of persons per calendar year can obtain a work and residence permit for a maximum of 12 months. The permits are not renewable and may only be used once per individual.

The permit must be applied for and granted before entering Sweden. Applications are made at the Consulate closest to where you live or at the Embassy of Sweden in Ottawa. Processing time is at least 8 weeks but could take longer. Applications by mail are not accepted.

For more information about this program, please check the fact sheet, "Work Permits for Canadian Citizens" under Facts.

The application form to be used can be found on the Migration Board Website and is under: Working holiday visas, Application for residence and work permit in Sweden for young people from Canada, New Zealand and Australia 155011 It is available under Related Files on this page.


Valid passport;

  • Two passport size photographs full face, colour, light background, not more than 6 months old, bareheaded unless special religious reasons exist;
  • Proof that you have at least $2 300.00 at your disposal at the time of application to ensure that living expenses can be covered until employment is obtained.

The fee is payable at the time of application and is non-refundable. See list of fees under Facts.

A firm (written) offer of employment is not required at the time of application and the work permit is not tied to any specific employer or position.

Health insurance is also strongly advised as the Swedish Health Care system is very expensive for non-residents.

The Embassy is not able to assist in finding a job in Sweden. However, a vacancy database (Platsautomat, Kundarbetsplats) can be found at all employment offices in Sweden (Arbetsförmedlingen). Links on the Internet to this and other services for job seekers and employers in Sweden can be found under Links.

Residence Permits for Students

If you are a citizen of a country which is not a member of the European Union (EU) and wish to study in Sweden for more than three months, you MUST have a residence permit granted and inserted in your passport before you enter Sweden.

If you are a citizen of an EU-country please contact the Embassy of Sweden in Ottawa or the Consulate of Sweden closest to where you live.

Please note: First time applicants must apply in person. The electronic option is available for renewals only.

How long does it take to get a residence permit?

Normal processing time is 6-8 weeks. During the summer months, the process could take longer. Please apply as early as possible.

If you are a Canadian citizen and you will be going to Sweden on an international exchange program or within the framework of certain exchange programs, like Rotary, AFS the processing time is shorter, provided that the application is complete.