Please Enter a Search Term



France - Canada youth exchange agreement

*Make sure you consult the websites below for the most thorough and up to date information regarding visas*

Website for visa

French Embassy in Canada: General Consulate of France in Montreal
1501, MacGill College Street
Office 1000
Montreal Quebec H3A 3M8
(514) 878 4385
(514) 878 3981

On October 3rd, 2003, the French and Canadian governments signed an agreement concerning youth exchange programs.

This agreement allows 14,000 Canadians and French youths to travel to the other country to acquire university training, professional experience, an internship, and to perfect their knowledge of the language, culture, and society. It aims to simplify the administrative procedures required for their entry and their stay. In particular, no administration fees are applied.

French youths wishing to go to Canada must contact the Embassy of Canada in Paris.

You will find below all the necessary indications for Canadians that wish to go to France through the youth exchanges agreement.

I- General eligibility conditions

Must be between the ages of 18 and 35 upon submission of application,
Must be a Canadian citizen and reside in Canada upon submission of application,
Must be in possession of a Canadian passport, valid for minimum of 3 months after the completion of the visit, · Must be financially solvent for the duration of the visit.
You can only be admitted twice in the youth exchanges agreement, and it must under two different visa categories. The stays must be discontinuous. Participants must thus return to re-apply for a different visa.
The duration of each stay cannot exceed one year, except for young professionals wishing to continue their development under a work contract (possibility to extend their stay by 6 months).

II- Agreement categories

Young Professional Development (2A visa )

Young professionals wishing to acquire a first experience or further development through a work contract in their field and increase their knowledge of the language, the culture, and French society.

Length of stay: 12 months (with the possibility of a 6 month increase).

Download the 2A VISA application kit

University Exchanges (2B visa)

Young Canadian students wishing to complete a part of their university curriculum in an institution in France in the context of the inter-university agreement.

Maximum length of stay: 12 months.

Download the 2B VISA application kit

Company Internship (2C visa)

Young Canadian citizens wishing to work in a business in France as a part of their studies or training. The conditions for this type of internship must be agreed upon by the three parties involved i.e. the Canadian establishment, the host establishment in France, and the student.

The length of stay corresponds to the one of the program without exceeding 12 months.

Download the 2C VISA application kit

Working Holiday Visa (2E visa)

Canadians wishing to travel to France for touristic and cultural purposes, all the while being authorized to work for financial sustenance.

Length of stay: 4, 6 or 12 months.

Download the 2E VISA application kit

III- Two-step procedure

1st step in Canada

Download the visa kit, and submit the required documents to the General Consulate of France of your jurisdiction, in accordance with your place of residence, as specified below.

You can submit your visa, at the earliest, 3 months prior to your departure for France, and it is advised that you make an appointment through the Consulate's website.

If you present yourself in person at the Consulate and your visa is granted, it will given to you the same day. By mail, the wait is longer: approximately 1 to 2 to weeks, or even more during the summer period, due to the increase in applications.

Residents of Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nunavut

General Consulate of France in Montreal
1501, MacGill College Street
Office 1000
Montreal Quebec H3A 3M8
(514) 878 4385
(514) 878 3981

2nd step in France

For a stay lasting over 6 months (holders of a long-stay visa marked: « carte de séjour à solliciter »), you will have to contact the Prefecture for your place of residence within the month of your arrival for a temporary residency card.
You must provide a proof of residency, a copy of your work contract by the DDTEFP for the 2A visas, proof of enrolment in a University for the 2B visas, an internship agreement for the 2C visas.

At this time, you will have to undergo a medical examination by the OFII (Office Français de l'Immigration et de l'Intégration).

For candidates with 2E visas, you will have to go to the Direction Départementale du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Formation professionnelle, before you start working, to request a temporary work permit (APT).

IV- Links to associations, lodgings, classified ads in France

The websites provided (in French) are for information use only. The Embassy does not endorse any of these websites.

Updates : 15/05/2011