Please Enter a Search Term



Student Visa

*Make sure you consult the websites below for the most thorough and up to date information regarding visas*

Website for Visa

Finnish Embassy in Canada: Embassy of Finland, Ottawa

55 Metcalfe Street, Suite 850, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6L5, Canada
Tel. +1 613 288 2233, E-mail:

Canadian citizens do not require a visa for visits to Finland provided that their stay does not exceed 90 days within the period of 6 months. However, a passport is required to enter the country. If the intended length of stay in Finland and within the Schengen area exceeds 90 days, a residence permit is required.

All Visa applications in Canada are processed in the Embassy of Finland in Ottawa. Please allow at least two weeks for your application to be processed. The process cannot be started until all the paperwork is submitted. Visa application can be submitted earliest 3 months prior to your trip.

Please telephone to make an appointment before coming to the Embassy in Ottawa to submit your visa application. Telephone hours are 9.00 a.m. - 12 noon, Monday to Friday. If you are mailing the application to the Embassy, a Certificate of Identity signed by a Finnish honorary consul or notary public is required.

Residence Permits for Study Purposes

A residence permit may be granted for study purposes at a post-comprehensive-school educational institution. Such institutions are mainly universities and vocational colleges. Person (with the exception of Scandinavian and EU-nationals) wishing to study in Finland for more than 3 months you must apply for and obtain a residence permit before leaving for Finland.

To apply for a residence permit for study purposes bring or send the following documents to the Embassy:

  • Completed residence permit application form (OLE_OPI).
  • PLE_OPI -form.pdf
  • pdfAppendix to residence permit application; passport photo OLEL_PK
  • Two passport photos.
    pdfPassport photo guidelines (PDF, 382 kB)
  • A valid passport.
  • Original letter of acceptance from a Finnish school/university confirming that you have been admitted to study there.
  • Proof that you have sufficient funds to cover your stay in Finland (at the moment about CAD 9.900 for two semesters is considered the minimum); this can be in the form of a letter from your bank.
  • Written proof of any scholarship you have received.
  • Proof of health insurance, which must be valid for the duration of your stay Finland (coverage of insurance up to 100.000 Euros).
  • (QUE/SF4 –form for residents of Québec, please contact Régie de L’Assurance Maladie du Québec)

  • The necessary diplomas (originals or a notirized copy).
  • Certificate of Identity (if necessary).
    pdfCertificate of Identity(PDF, 8 kB)
  • Processin fee.
  • Embassy may request additional documents, if needed.
  • Please note that students must leave the country on completion of their studies.
  • The process usually takes 4 to 6 weeks and cannot be started until all paperwork is received.
  • If your passport is to be mailed back to you, please provide a prepaid, self-addressed, an express mail or courier envelope (with signature on delivery)
  • Click here to see the current residence and work permit fees.