Relocation Guidelines - Post-Doctoral Fellows
R-1.1.1 - PURPOSE
The purpose of this policy is to provide for proper control of relocation expenses.
R-1.1.2 - SCOPE
This policy is applicable to all Post-doctoral Fellows.
R-1.1.3 - AUTHORITY
- The authority for the establishment of the Relocation Guidelines comes from the Office of the Vice-President (Administration and Finance).
- The Department of Financial and Administrative Services is directly responsible to the Vice-President (Administration and Finance) in ensuring these policies and procedures are followed.
- An application for deviation from these guidelines to cover relocation expenses for which no provision is made in these guidelines must be made to the Vice-President (Administration and Finance).
R-1.1.4 - RESPONSIBILITY
It is the responsibility of the Dean, Director or Principal to satisfy the Department of Financial and Administrative Services that the correct procedures and guidelines are being observed and that strict economy is exercised. This responsibility may be delegated to Heads of Department.
R-1.1.5 - APPROVALS
- Department Heads must ensure that prospective candidates are aware of the appropriate University policy and procedures in respect of relocation expenses.
- Department Heads must advise prospective candidates that they will not receive a grant to assist with removal of household goods.
R-1.2.1 - RELOCATION EXPENSES - UPPER LIMIT
- In order to control relocation costs of Post-doctoral Fellows the individual faculties and schools are permitted to prescribe an upper limit on the costs which the faculty is prepared to pay.
- The upper limit on costs cannot exceed the costs outlined in R-1.2.2.
- The upper limit should be clearly stated in the letter of appointment sent to the Post-doctoral Fellow, a copy of which should be forwarded to the Director of Financial and Administrative Services.
- The establishment of an upper limit will be the responsibility of the appropriate Dean or Director.
R-1.2.2 - RELOCATION EXPENSES
- Relocation expenses for newly appointed Post-doctoral Fellows, will be limited to the lowest obtainable cost not to exceed the limit specified by the Faculty or School and, in any event, should not exceed economy or tourist class air fare for the appointee, his or her spouse and legally dependent children from their then place of residence to the University. One way air fare will be reimbursed upon arrival at the University. The return portion of the air fare will be paid upon completion of the employment period. However, in cases where reduced fares, e.g. seat sales, are available, the total fare will be reimbursed upon arrival or the University may arrange that the return ticket be purchased and forwarded to the appointee.
- It is essential that information be obtained as to the number, if any, of legal dependents (spouse and children) they have or expect to have by the time of the proposed appointment and whether they intend to bring such dependents with them should they be appointed.
- This information is required prior to the issue of a contract of employment. The contract will then state the extent of any liability in respect of relocation expenses.
- If the newly appointed Post-doctoral Fellows choose to travel by private motor vehicle, or other than the most direct route, they will be reimbursed the actual cost of travel up to the otherwise lowest obtainable cost.
- Expenses for the return trip after the appointment is completed will be reimbursed at time of return and not at time of arrival.
- Relocation costs are the budget responsibility of the sponsoring faculty or department or supporting research grant.
R-1.3.1 - REIMBURSEMENT
- Reimbursement of expenditures incurred in relocation will in normal circumstances, be made on arrival at the applicable campus and on production of the necessary vouchers covering the expenses claimed.
- Vouchers are accepted as proof of the disbursement of cash. Credit card receipts in accordance with Revenue Canada guidelines do not qualify as a receipt per guidelines T-1.5.1.
- Requests for reimbursement should be submitted on a Staff Settlement Claim form. This form can be obtained from the Department of Financial and Administrative Services.