• Do not give your telephone number to wrong telephone callers. Ask the caller, “What telephone number are you calling?”
• Check references of any person calling seeking information about you for a survey, credit check, or subscription drive. Call the agency or company the person works for and verify the identity and intent of the caller.
• Never reveal to a stranger or wrong telephone number caller your address or that you are home alone.
• Teach children telephone security techniques.
• If you receive a threatening, harassing, or obscene telephone call, notify your local law enforcement agency and your telephone company.
• If you receive such a call, place the telephone receiver down immediately. Do not say anything to the caller.
• If you receive such calls, keep a record of time, date, and content of each telephone call.